One hive manic flow on - the rest not

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alabamaeee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
All my hives are now finished with OSR about two weeks ago.

Not much happening with three of them but my strongest and most productive hive has a flow on that resembles their manic to and froing when they were on OSR. I have no idea what they are working but puzzled as to why the three others are not doing anything. All have a good colony size and I would have thought that after a week of the strong hive working nectar that the others would have found the source.

Is this a normal behaviour because in my apiary I have never encountered such a dramatic difference in colony behaviour?

I have some hives that fail to find lime and others that hang around waiting for it to open! Well that's how it seems anyway!

Are they robbing ?

If they are it's not any of the hives in the apiary as they are going straight out from the apiary to somewhere further afield.

If they are it's not any of the hives in the apiary as they are going straight out from the apiary to somewhere further afield.

but they may be circling around and coming back...not realisng that what they have found is only next door..

When I did my mycroscopy course - the instructor told us that he and his son had monitored pollen coming into 3 different hives on an hourly basis (I think), over a few days, and that it was quite noticable the difference of what was being broght in between the hives. Although in this ase, it seemed tobe a 'succession' so it was the same plants, just not at the same time.

Back