Omlet fixes arrived...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
after all two years testing by an extensive team of experience bee keepers ought to be enough to iron out all inherent defects :)

Well maybe they have! As I do not see an issue with stablity of the hive!

Not owning a beehaus nor intending to One thing that struck me ......
There has been an awaful lot of speculation from people that have not even see the hive!

Last edited:
And many of the wooden hives in use today in the UK have the word "modified" in their name. So this is hardly a new phenomenon.

I've also just had a letter telling me to take my car back to the garage for a recall modification.

I've also just had a letter telling me to take my car back to the garage for a recall modification.

How would that work with a Beehaus?!?

They send you the bits and you fit them yourself. Which is what they've done I think.

The point I was making is bringing out a modification to improve something or correct a defect is a well worn path and something any responsible supplier would do.

Maclaren have been in the news recently about a mod to stop children losing their fingers which shouldn't have been needed at all if parents took their child out of the buggy before they tried folding it.

And if you ever take a flight somewhere wouldn't you like to think the aircraft had all the latest mods fitted?

Not owning a beehaus nor intending to One thing that struck me ......

There has been an awaful lot of speculation from people that have not even see the hive!

I think this was aimed at me.

I do not know which part of that sentence implied that I had NOT seen one, I just stated I will not own one. The reason I will not buy a Beehaus, is that I do not like the look of them. No other reason, simple as that.

The comments I made were based on the recent weather conditions, especially locally (http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/473...es_damaged_as__tornado__hits_Benfleet/?ref=mr) and I felt I saw a benefit in the design that could assist others in stabilising the hive a bit more (although personally I do now like the sandbag idea better than my idea). No criticism of the hive made nor intended. I does not matter what hive you have, in the wrong weather conditions any hive could be damaged or destroyed.

RoofTops said:
They send you the bits and you fit them yourself.
I remember many years ago that my father worked in the modification bay of a RAF flying station. It is or was common in aeronautics that most of the mods are/were done by the competent user agencies/organisations.

Our apiaries are our flying stations and we are in the aeronautics business. I have no plans or opinions, but I bet Mr Rose wishes that his hives had received as much coverage as the BeeHause has.

I'm sure that over the next year the design will have been put through a full annual cycle of use and the pros and cons will be less speculative and generally better informed, one way or another. It will after all succeed or fail on it's own merit in the fullness of time. :cheers2:

hence the comparison trial between the beehaus and national....I will update my blog as time progresses.

I'm sure that over the next year the design will have been put through a full annual cycle of use and the pros and cons will be less speculative and generally better informed, one way or another. It will after all succeed or fail on it's own merit in the fullness of time. :cheers2:

Hombre, there are quite a few people now reporting their experience with the Beehaus, and I speak from my experience that I am not holding back in the truth about the hive (Good or bad)

The MINOR mods that have come out have come from users feedback of the hive, and like I have said before Omlet (based on their cubes and Eglues) do listen to the public and react very quickly.

Even people who like to take videos of their hive had lead to improvements in the Beehaus!

Last edited:
I heard that he has fallen out with the people on the omlet forum or the administrators??

That besides I am interested to hear if the bees are plugging what seems to me from a distance gaps and big joint lines with the construction

That besides I am interested to hear if the bees are plugging what seems to me from a distance gaps and big joint lines with the construction

Tom I have not seen any evidnece of the bees plugging aything up.

The gaps and big joint lines you refere to are not as you might imgaine.

The first one can bee seen in this first picture, top of screen in the green plastic, second frame in from left, you can see 2 bees on a green raised section, this is where the division board sits and there was (pre mods) a small gap above the white board section.

DSCN1077.jpg

Second gap is show in this next picture, the black sponge eat by the bees is shown in the top corner where the grey/white and green meets. The gap running down the white is not a point the bees can enter.

DSCN1081.jpg

The other mod simpley strenthens up the OMF to sit hard up against the divison board

Basically these are fundamental faults and should never have got past the design stage (especially as thorough testing in the field had taken place).

John Wilkinson

Lots of manufactured items get sorted after they have been sold so nothing new there. Glad to see Jimbeekeeper keeping to his word of reporting the good points and the bad. :cheers2:

Basically these are fundamental faults and should never have got past the design stage (especially as thorough testing in the field had taken place).

John Wilkinson

I agree some of these are fundamental faults but I suspect testing in volume could not realistically happen and at the same time keep the lid on the product - that just life I suspect.

I think someone else mentioned that 'you don’t get fixes for national etc', that made me laugh, there are more updates/add-ons/alterations/adaptations for the normal open design hives than you can count!

Glad to see Jimbeekeeper keeping to his word of reporting the good points and the bad. :cheers2:

Thanks Veg, I am sure others will join in and report more about their use of the beehaus as the 2010 season starts. I was just lucky enough (replace with brave, stupid or daft etc words of your choice!!!) to add bees to mine as soon as I got it.

Cheers jim for the reply and pics they should have given you one first instead of the people on a freeby

The bee space is so well understood and for so long that "new products have faults" is really no excuse. If as I suspect a lot of expenditure has gone into production of injection moulding equipment plus production line gear , I can only suppose the company jumped from hen houses to bee hive production with scant knowledge of any of the criteria associated with the 'movable frame hive'.
After all this is an expensive product and should have been carefully assessed before being thrust onto the market knowing the uptake would largely be from newbies on the back of all the hype surrounding the 'plight of the honey bee'
IMHO !.

John Wilkinson

should have been carefully assessed before being thrust onto the market knowing the uptake would largely be from newbies on the back of all the hype surrounding the 'plight of the honey bee'
IMHO !.

John Wilkinson

May be so John, but how many others over the last 12 months and going forward to 2010 are jumping on the bee band wagon? A lot I would say.

In my view the only negative that has come about from all the beehaus "hype" is the poor response from the so-call "experienced" beekeepers,

In my view the only negative that has come about from all the beehaus "hype" is the poor response from the so-call "experienced" beekeepers,

Experienced beekeepers are just that 'experienced'.. We have seen all kinds of revolutionary hives and rightly view things critically. People are always trying to re-invent the wheel often to no availe ! The glory holes in most households (the grave yards of gadgetry)are a testament to the gullibility of the inexperienced:svengo:.

John Wilkinson

revolutionary hives

But it was said by "experinced" beekeepers that the beehaus was "nothing new" or others staited it was "just a rebadged Dartington"!

Mr Dartington is now a very rich man or a bitter and twisted one! I have my view on which one he is!

People are always trying to re-invent the wheel often to no availe !

I don’t believe Omlet are trying to reinvent the wheel, but just provide for a market that does not currently view beekeeping for them for many of the reasons that have been demonstrated on this forum against the beehaus.

The glory holes in most households

Wow John, do you realy have a Glory Hole in your house! (Snigger) I did not think you where the type? (Do a search for glory hole!):reddevil:[

Last edited:
You have apparently run out of constructive argument ! and like all disciples , you view your object of worship through rose tinted glasses as do a couple of your fellow enthusiasts (always lurking to defend any against any criticism with biblical zeal!).
A glory hole to an Englishman is an area ( usually under the stairs where brooms wellies junk etc. accumulate !.).
As you have obviously run out of sensible contra argument to sensible criticism and find you have to resort to sniggering , I will leave you and your fellow devotees to worship at your shrine . May it smile down on you and may your honey yields exceed those of us pagan experienced beekeepers :).

John Wilkinison

Latest posts

Back