Old Beek Lore

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndiBee

House Bee
Reaction score
Vosges Mountains France & Cambrian Mountains Wales
Anyone got snippets of old lore?
My favorite is:

‘A swarm in May is worth a load of hay; a swarm in June is worth a silver spoon; but a swarm in July is not worth a fly'
1879 R. JEFFERIES Wild Life in Southern County vii.

As true today as it ever was

Anyone got snippets of old lore?
My favorite is:

‘A swarm in May is worth a load of hay; a swarm in June is worth a silver spoon; but a swarm in July is not worth a fly'
1879 R. JEFFERIES Wild Life in Southern County vii.

As true today as it ever was
Do you have any from where you are in France or are you still in Wales?
Emyr has the Welsh one already 😂

I was raised in Hertfordshire and the saying is that Londoners labelled us Hertfordshire Hedgehogs because we made for prickly neighbours.

If you go looking for problems in a hive you'll be sure to find some.

(can't) (won't )
If you canner keep bees in a box you wunner put honey in a jar.

I remember someone going on about queen rearing years ago, doing the usual making it out be be really complicated. One of the old guys piped up with "the easiest way of raising queens is drop the brood box on yer old un". Deflated the guys chest somewhat. lol.

Sadly the old boys that I used to know that spoke in riddles have all died, if you didn't have the knowledge to work the riddle out you were left with a blank expression scratching your head and them guys laughing.

The answer to any beekeeping question must be prefaced by the phrase “it depends...”. There can be no exceptions - it’s the Law.

New-age woke beekeepers have alternative facts to use, proven to work well, and is therefore recommended...................

Latest posts

Back