Off to the Heather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was at Dunwich Heath on Sunday, which is apparently a mixtue of common and bell heathers (and gorse), shed loads of bumbles were going radio rental all over it, but any honeybees we saw were sticking to the brambles in the hedgerows

normally the two heathers follow on so you get a longer burst at the heather and more honey ...

Not quite true about the longer burst Parglye, most only take their bees for the later Ling harvest. Bell heather honey is like ordinary honey and will spin out, dark reddish honey.

Can anybody update on whether ling is starting to flower early this year (I've an interest in the South Wales area)? Andy

No idea about Wales, but for anyone on NW Yorkshire moors I can confirm the Bell is blooming, the ling looks to be about 2 weeks away, occasional spray in flower in sheltered areas. No need to get excited yet!

Haven't been over Blaenafon for a while Andy, but driving over the Beacons it's beginning to show colour so won't be long.

My partners farm is on the Beacons, if it wasn't for the drive and ferry I would put some there! I'm thinking of setting some up there for next year though and getting family members to look after them. They seem keen to try it out.

Haven't been over Blaenafon for a while Andy, but driving over the Beacons it's beginning to show colour so won't be long.

Thanks for your observations Swarm, it's helpful to plan dates to move my bees up. Someone said, a few years back, that there was a webcam onto the Sugarloaf. Perhaps if it's still live, I could see for myself!!

Thanks for your observations Swarm, it's helpful to plan dates to move my bees up. Someone said, a few years back, that there was a webcam onto the Sugarloaf. Perhaps if it's still live, I could see for myself!!

AndyTh

Have you looked at ITLD Twitter feed (@calluna4u) - it's an early season.

Hopefully this link will work:

https://twitter.com/calluna4u

I'll be crossing the Sugarloaf on the way to Builth with my entries this Sunday

Not much happening on the sugarloaf so I took a slight detour and then walked up to the edge of the Drysgol to see how the heather was doing nearer to home as it looked pretty dark from the house. It's started to show so won't be that long now

Attachments

• heather 1 (1013x1024).jpg
    heather 1 (1013x1024).jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 35
  • heather 2 (989x1024).jpg
    heather 2 (989x1024).jpg
    458.9 KB · Views: 39
  • heather 3 (933x1024).jpg
    heather 3 (933x1024).jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 31
I did a recce yesterday to Dunwich Heath on the Suffolk coast where I have taken a couple of hives a few times over several years. It's never worth going if there's been a prolonged drought but this year after drought there's been some rain.
It looks as though there's been a good flowering of the bell-heather, now fading. The ling is beginning to open but seems much sparser than hitherto. Gorse and birch seem to be slowly taking over.
I doubt if I'll bother this year.

Ling starting to flower on the Preseli hills. Rosebay willowherb coming to the end.
This unsettled weather is supposed to be followed by another high pressure system week after next. Could be good for a heather flow.

Hi All, not been on here for a while, but good to be back!
Quick question;
For quite a few years I have taken my strongest to the Peak district. I have been advised that where i usually take them currently has about 30 hives, and may have another 20-30 or so by the end of the week.

My question is this. Is this too many in one area, not withstanding all the infection risk issues etc.
I guess in previous years its possible that there has been this number, or more, i just haven't seen them.
I'd be interested in your thoughts.
Thanks

Buzz, I often see upwards of 50 hives in single sites on the heather (the bee farmers) so it's probably okay. As long as you are well into the moors then there is about 8000 acres of heather available for forage in a mile circle from the hives.
Although I hate putting my bees with other beekeepers, with the increased risks of disease etc. I'm selfish I want half a dozen hives to access that 8000 acres all by themselves..

Went up mountain earlier and gave some syrup to all colonies.heathers looking lovely in flower but bees out of stores and nothing going in.weathers terrible and the outlook isn't good.

Do you guys just drop off your boxes at the heather wherever you like, or does someone own the land and you go and ask permission?

Latest posts

Back