Observation Hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melon

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am intending to use an Observation Hive for the first time at a fete. Has any one got any handy hints and tips. Is it OK to just pop the frame back in the hive, or will there be any fighting if they've been away for a few hours? Also, if I can't find a queen, is it still OK to take a frame of bees, or will they get panicy and not behave normally.....I suppose if I do get the queen, the bees left in the hive might get a bit panicy.
Any helpful hints and tips gratefully received.
Melon.

Hi Melon. We used one for the first time last week - very positive feedback and I'm sure you'll get lots of practical advice from others. To start off, don't forget a water sprayer to cool them down via the OMF - they got very hot!
We used a nuc so took all the bees, avoiding your potential problem of having to separate bees

Hi Melon
Most observation hives I have used are made up with three frames, two brood and a super. After a few years of use I had one made up more to my liking. It is basically a five frame nuc box with a single frame observation glass panel on the top. It is quite a bit more sturdy and can stand up to prodding and tapping from inquisitive kids. I can usually then use a full available nuc removing all the bees in one go therefore affording less stress to the bees while they are on thier holidays.

Top Tips:

1. Use good clean frames showing all stages of developement and stores.
2. Use a well marked Queen.
3. Bring a ratchet strap to secure Observation hive in position.
4. Bring a spray bottle of water to cool them off.
5. Situate Observation hive so that frames are in the direction of travel in your vehicle.
6. Do not attempt to load an Observation hive on your own.
7. Enlist the aid of someone who has done this before.
8. Position Observation hive out of direct sunlight.
9. Lock down any openings in the Observation hive with padlocks.
10. Do not attempt this without experienced help.
11. Do not keep the bees in the observation hive for more than 12 hours.
12. Do not block up ventilation holes.
13. Never leave the Observation hive unattended.
14. When you return the bees to the hive they will be uncooperative and a little annoyed.
15. Always use PPE when loading and unloading.
16. Close up the frames in the parent colony and take note of the original postion to return them correctly.
17. Annotate the hive record to indicate the removal.
18. Check the glass panel with your hand to guage the inside temperature regularly.
19. Ensure you have the right tools for the job e.g. screwdriver (cross and flat), brush, smoker, suit etc.
20. Check the Observation hive is clean and if it requires spacers.
21. Make sure the frames are secure and do not move around whilst in motion.
22. Give yourself plenty of time to load up get htere and get back to unload.

I'm sure there's more but it's getting late. Good eventing!

Just to add one more to the excellent list above.

Use a sticky label or some thing that won't blow away to ask people Do not touch the glass/hive. Some people will ignore your request of course so be prepared to wipe the sticky smudge marks off as required..

:banghead:

If you want to play it safe you could always mark a drone, I spotted this trick at a county show a couple of years ago. After a quick chat with its owner the bees were mostly young bees filtered through a QE and a drone was marked as the real queen was still being introduced in a cage in the parent colony.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help and advice.
You suggest that I don't attempt this without experienced help.....that's just what I was going to do, as nobody else is available.....can things go terribly wrong?
Our association has brought an obs hive, but only one chap has used it so far, to take to a school, so not many in association with experience. Was hoping to gain my own experience.

Secondly:
Situate Observation hive so that frames are in the direction of travel in your vehicle.
Does this mean that the side of the frames are facing forward?
Thanks again for all the useful tips.
Melon.

"Does this mean that the side of the frames are facing forward?"

No, exact opposite...so when you brake/accelerate the frame doesn't sway around (think about it)

"Does this mean that the side of the frames are facing forward?"

No, exact opposite...so when you brake/accelerate the frame doesn't sway around (think about it)

Ummm, not sure I agree, the side of the frame should point forward surely???? If flat of frame pointing forward it can/will rock?

Frame side bars of frame to front and rear of vehicle is the way. I thought I was agreeing with richardbees, but might be with justme as well or instead of?/!

Make sure you take your completed risk assessment with you.

Regards, RAB

OK. Is it a legal requirement to do a risk assessment....certainly putting me off now. To whom do I do that for and what do I write. helpful ideas, thanks.

When I took a ob to a school I did the following.

I told the school it was their problem re assessment. No issues.

I had perspex infront of the glass.

I spanseted the ob to a desk.

I was stern with the kids... came as a shck to them used as they are to female teachers. Worked a treat and approved of by the teachers.

My ob had a proper queen in place and could be seen by the kids.

A drone marked as queen? For goodness sake.... never ever would I do that. You either do it right or stay at home.

PH

Am off to a school tomorrow to talk to 90 children in their main hall- just me and my Observation Nuc- beautifully made by Tom Bick.not worthy. ( am the envy of my Division,I think)
5 frame Nuc converts to a 4 frame and a frame feeder- and the frame with marked queen lifts to a glass compartment above.
No need for ratchet straps as well secured by 4 locks and a clamped door.
Health and Safety assessment - well yes- taking bottle of water for my throat as I reckon all that talking is a risk!

Had a successful day selling honey and observing bees (wasps, as lots of people thought they were!) in the observation hive. Amazing to see the queen constantly surrounded by a little gang of admirters! Thanks very much to Bad Boy Bee for the extensive list...although I did do it on my own, as nobody really experienced to help. I took the bees out the previous evening, finding the queen very quickly, fortunately. A few were squashed between the glass and comb, but I suppose that is inevitable. They were safely returned to the hive about 6pm the following evening...I don't normally like opening up hives late, but it was OK and I was as quick as possible. Should have chosen a hive with less supers on!...but I knew that hive was AS'd, and it was likely the queen would be on a nice clean frame.
Anyway, I am experienced now, and whilst at the fete have had requests for two further visits, so I might get even more experience.
The people loved...some spending about 20 mins watching the bees. I loved it to, as you don't normally get to watch what they are up to. One bee was carrying a big larvae about....perhaps it had died and needed putting outside. can't think why else they'd be carrying a larvae about.
Thanks for your great help.not worthy:)

Back