Nuc with DLW

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_so

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
I have a nuc with DLW(s), if I move it aside and replace it with another nuc that needs building up a bit, will the flying bees go to the new nuc and beg their way in and will the DLW(s) also fly to the new nuc or do DLWs stay in the hive like queens?

Or is this just a bad idea...?

I have a nuc with DLW(s), if I move it aside and replace it with another nuc that needs building up a bit, will the flying bees go to the new nuc and beg their way in and will the DLW(s) also fly to the new nuc or do DLWs stay in the hive like queens?

You can do this, there is always the issue that some of the Laying Workers could kill the queen in the other nuc, but usually not. If you put it along side, then the flying bees will enter and boost the weaker colony. if you shake out the remaining bees in a few days and take away the laying (frames and nuc etc)worker colony, then usually i find the laying workers will beg their way in and be accepted.
Ive done this recently and more often than not, you just end up with a strong nuc. worth a try if nothing else to move things on!
I usually do this if i have a line of nucs and want to just get rid of a dud weak one. quick and easy to do!

Laying workers can fly just the same as other workers - some will be foragers.
Shake them all out after a good smoking and leave them beg their way into the other hives - high pheromone levels will then suppress the laying

Thanks both, will just shake them out across the field and leave them to beg their way into whichever nuc or hive they want ;)

Latest posts

Back