Swapping from warm way to cold way

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently put a box of old stores left over from last year,( when I drastically reduced hive numbers due to moving), on top of a colony low on stores. I put an original crown board ( with porter holes, virtually closed) on the top box, an eke , then the box of old brood frames. They were cleared out after 4 days and all the crumbs were left on top of the crown board and easily removed. Old frames currently in solar wax melter. No wasps appeared at all

Last edited:
I recently put a box of old stores left over from last year,( when I drastically reduced hive numbers due to moving), on top of a colony low on stores. I put an original crown board ( with porter holes, virtually closed) on the top box, an eke , then the box of old brood frames. They were cleared out after 4 days and all the crumbs were left on top of the crown board and easily removed. Old frames currently in solar wax melter. No wasps appeared at all
Now that’s a good tip.

Good idea. Is the eke necessary or would it work without one?

Probably work without. I just think the extra space above the crown board convinces them that the stores are " outside the hive". But that is my human thinking, the bees likely have a different perception

Put the omf drawer in and close off any gap to the back of it.
Also reduces potential silent robbing under the floor from other colonies.

My OMFs are all permanently blocked off with insulation. However, because of my imperfect cutting "technique" a few small gaps still exist. Yesterday, whilst the workers were engrossed at the front door in throwing out the drones, a few of the smarter blokes (if not a contradiction in terms ;) ) sensed a possible entry to the hive from under the rear of the floor. Even though they're obviously not going to get in that way, some of the worforce went round to the back of the hive to chase them off.

If conditions are right for robbing I suspect that an unprotected, mesh floor might cause the bees a lot of stress.

Back