nuc, over wintered nuc or over wintered hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishguy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 over wintered nucs
When I first decided about doing bees, I thought all I needed was a box, throw in a queen and I'll have lots of honey come the end of summer. After reading on and off for a year, I got to learn about more what I needed. Still didn't know everything but thought all I needed was a hive, a nuc and come Aug/Sept I'll have a bucket of honey. F**k how I was so wrong again lol.

What I want to know is would an overwintered nuc produce honey at the end of season(weather permitting) or will I have to buy a whole hive.

I'm also wondering do seller's sell just 11filled brood frames with a queen when the Times right instead of taking the hive with it. You see, I've maxed out my budget with suits,starter kit,timber, tool bits, joining the association and taking the beginners course to name a few.

I was thinking about buying an over wintered nuc and another nuc and letting the nuc build up this year and hopefully with the over wintered nuc, get my honey(again, weather permitting)

What's your thoughts

Last edited:
I have a nuc from last Aug that are ready for a hive now, weather permitting they will be in a national hive in next couple of days. Then I'll be adding a few frames each side of the six there on, every few days with a feed of syrup to get them drawing out.
They should have the brood body full in no time, & I'll be hoping to get a super on & some honey from them this year.
My other colony are hived & super ready for them.
Weather here has not went up to 15 degrees yet for to do much. I normally leave them alone until temp has reached that, then I inspect.
At least it's dry & bees are busy.
You should be able to get honey this year if they are hived.

I guess I'd say don't be in such a rush to get honey. Let them build up this year and get honey next year.

Irishguy you need to do a lot more reading if you think they can stay in a nuc for long this time of year as they expand rapidly.

Irishguy you need to do a lot more reading if you think they can stay in a nuc for long this time of year as they expand rapidly.

What do you mean by this ?

I've done my reading and have asked a few beekeepers and was told to get nucs and let tgem grow and wait untill next year for honey but if you knew me, you'd understand that im a guy who jumps in the deep end in life and always does good. What I want to know, what sort of bees do I need to get honey this year, is it an overwintered nuc or hive I'll be defo starting 1 nuc this year but also want another one that's ready for surplus honey come end of summer. I know there's alot that can go wrong but it's a chance I'll take

Last edited:
If you get a nuc now it will need to be put into a full hive in a couple of months due to it expanding. I don't doubt your intentions are not good. I just don't want you to have to find out later that you will need more equipment.

If you get a nuc now it will need to be put into a full hive in a couple of months due to it expanding. I don't doubt your intentions are not good. I just don't want you to have to find out later that you will need more equipment.

If you mean more frames, hives that's ok because I have the frames in and can make the hives in a day. Im just keen to get started and abit impatient to wait 18months on my first jar of honey

What's the rush? Get a nuc, let it build up over the season, if everything's goes in your favour you may get some honey, if not , you'll at least have a strong colony going through next winter, then hopefully get a good honey crop next year.

You can wait till next year if you like. But really, if i had a fresh and good Nuc i would expect them under good conditions to expand well and you should absolutely expect to take a some honey this year. All depends on a lot of things though ie weather/ management/ feeding etc...

What's the rush? Get a nuc, let it build up over the season, if everything's goes in your favour you may get some honey, if not , you'll at least have a strong colony going through next winter, then hopefully get a good honey crop next year.

Im a very impatient fella. Yes I understand people saying get a nuc or 2, let it grow but what if I don't want to do that and jump a year ahead, what should I buy.

You can wait till next year if you like. But really, if i had a fresh and good Nuc i would expect them under good conditions to expand well and you should absolutely expect to take a some honey this year. All depends on a lot of things though ie weather/ management/ feeding etc...

That's what I thought but have been told by a few beekeepers that not to expect honey so this is why im wanting to do what im thinking.

It is not just about how many bees there are, if they don't have the forage available they can't collect it

Sorry i should have clarified. With a nuc put into a hive with supers you should under good circumstances expect a crop at end of season. *optimist

A full colony of bees

What sort of money should I expect to pay for a full colony. Are they worth double a nuc, one and half times more or even less? If I was to buy a full colony, what should I look out for good and bad

:iagree:

Any standard nuc obtained before the end of May would normally produce you a super of honey before the end of the season. Last year I sold a package to a local new starter at the end of April and it produced him 60lbs. It all depends on local forage and the weather of course.

Also a standard nuc should be housed immediately into a standard hive - they will expand before your eyes.

It is not just about how many bees there are, if they don't have the forage available they can't collect it

I put a picture up recently and was told I'd get honey from my location. There's quite alot of hedges, blackberries, heather etc..

Sorry i should have clarified. With a nuc put into a hive with supers you should under good circumstances expect a crop at end of season. *optimist

:iagree:

Any standard nuc obtained before the end of May would normally produce you a super of honey before the end of the season. Last year I sold a package to a local new starter at the end of April and it produced him 60lbs. It all depends on local forage and the weather of course.

Also a standard nuc should be housed immediately into a standard hive - they will expand before your eyes.

Im confused now. I've been told all conflicting opinions wether I'll get honey :( (weather permitting)

Do not waste what money you have on a full colony, pointless. A nuc will expand fast under decent condition as Chris B has also testified.

Im confused now. I've been told all conflicting opinions wether I'll get honey :( (weather permitting)

I don't think the advice is conflicting, it's just the terminology being used. If you buy bees as a nuc, you would get 5 or 6 frames of bees. If you kept them as a nuc, they wouldn't be a big enough colony to give you honey. However, if you transferred them into a full hive, and the weather and forage was good, then there would be no reason why the nuc can't expand enough to be able to collect surplus honey.
If it was me, I would buy a nuc (6 frame would obviously be an advantage over 5 as it has more bees), introduce it into a full hive brood box. Add frames of fondant gradually and feed well. When all frames of fondant are drawn stop feeding. The bees will be in a pretty good state then to give you every chance of honey.
Also what hasn't been mentioned on here, and what is going to be against you, is that it takes bees time and stores to change foundation into drawn comb. You can feed to help this but it all takes time out of a preciously short season.

Latest posts

Back