nuc, over wintered nuc or over wintered hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think the advice is conflicting, it's just the terminology being used. If you buy bees as a nuc, you would get 5 or 6 frames of bees. If you kept them as a nuc, they wouldn't be a big enough colony to give you honey. However, if you transferred them into a full hive, and the weather and forage was good, then there would be no reason why the nuc can't expand enough to be able to collect surplus honey.
If it was me, I would buy a nuc (6 frame would obviously be an advantage over 5 as it has more bees), introduce it into a full hive brood box. Add frames of fondant gradually and feed well. When all frames of fondant are drawn stop feeding. The bees will be in a pretty good state then to give you every chance of honey.
Also what hasn't been mentioned on here, and what is going to be against you, is that it takes bees time and stores to change foundation into drawn comb. You can feed to help this but it all takes time out of a preciously short season.
I presume you mean frames of foundation, not fondant (I'm trying to picture a frame of fondant!).

Irishguy, no good being impatient with bees, they will do what they want in their own time, but with plenty of forage and a bit of luck a good nuc should give you a few jars in the first year

If you kept them as a nuc, they wouldn't be a big enough colony to give you honey.

No because they would swarm within a few weeks due to lack of space.

There is an old saying "A swarm in May is worth a load of hay, a swarm in June a silver spoon, a swarm in July isn't worth a fly".
I know we are talking about a nuc but the principle still holds, i.e. the earlier you get it the greater the chance of honey. You will find loads of beekeepers selling surplus bees from the middle of June onwards and asking the same high prices as earlier available nucs, and they will almost certainly produce no crop that year.

for honey i would go with a overwintered nuc. (140-200)
for skiping a full year i would go for a full overwintered hive with help(terror) (220-450)(the 450 had 2 full supers and all equipment came with it rough nick tho)
for best practice i would go for a nuc in summer build it up winter it and hit next year with an overwintered hive. (120-150)
(all in euro all based on prices ive heard asked depending on size and equipment with it)

An overwintered nuc or full hive should get honey if well managed.(swarming, build up)
dont forget as a fresh setup you are dealing with drawing frames aswell.
last year most over here (west ireland) seemed to feel the flow came in hard and fast. not the best for geting honey on foundation. awesome on drawn frames tho. foundation takes time to draw the flow might be over by the time it is drawn.

A full hive can be daunting tho.
and d*nedeal is your friend last year we got some bargins on there.
you got my number if ya have any hassle drop me a line

im a guy who jumps in the deep end in life

Jumping in at the deep end is fine if you are taking up extreme sports or a hobby with inanimate objects but bees are livestock and their health & welfare must be a prime consideration. You have also said that you have bought kids' suits - not sure if you have mentioned their ages. Another prime consideration must be their safety. I completely understand your impatience but I'm afraid that extreme patience is an essential attribute needed for beekeeping.

The first time I went to Ireland I went into a bar desperarate for a Guiness. That taught me about the need for patience if you want it right.
You're clearly a Smithwicks drinker.

Irishguy - I put a two overwintered 6F Nucs into full hives two weeks ago, giving each a couple of frames of stores and the rest was foundation. They have expanded rapidly in that time. Left to their own devices, I would expect both to produce a surplus of honey this year. As it is, I will be equalizing hives in the apiaries they are located in which will boost them a little and ensure there are plenty of foragers available. I have several other Nucs which I have no need for presently and will have to put them into full hives tomorrow night as they are expanding very rapidly and since they are starting to bring in a good amount of nectar locally, they will need space to store it.
If you buy a Nuc, the bees will have to expend energy to draw out comb to fill a full box. Then they will have to draw out comb in your supers in which to store honey. Drawing wax has a cost in honey and this is likely to reduce the surplus available to you at the end of the season. This is the basis of advice you previously received in terms of the amount of honey you might expect from a Nuc this year. An overwintered Nuc will get up and running much quicker than a Spring/early Summer Nuc and I would consider it would give you the potential for some honey for your own use.
As Newportbuzz comments, a full hive can be daunting - I would recommend you do not rush into purchasing a full hive at the outset.

The first time I went to Ireland I went into a bar desperarate for a Guiness. That taught me about the need for patience if you want it right.
You're clearly a Smithwicks drinker.

Funnley enough, im a guiness man myself. Used to hate the stuff and used to say to my father that I don't know how he or anyone can drink the stuff. That was untill I was out all day sat on the drink, woke up Sunday morning to watch an important football game and just couldn't look at a pint of beer. My father bought me a guiness and said try that, I haven't drank anything else apart from guiness since that day and said to my aul lad, why the f**k didn't you do that year's ago because that aul guiness is great lol

for honey i would go with a overwintered nuc. (140-200)
for skiping a full year i would go for a full overwintered hive with help(terror) (220-450)(the 450 had 2 full supers and all equipment came with it rough nick tho)
for best practice i would go for a nuc in summer build it up winter it and hit next year with an overwintered hive. (120-150)
(all in euro all based on prices ive heard asked depending on size and equipment with it)

An overwintered nuc or full hive should get honey if well managed.(swarming, build up)
dont forget as a fresh setup you are dealing with drawing frames aswell.
last year most over here (west ireland) seemed to feel the flow came in hard and fast. not the best for geting honey on foundation. awesome on drawn frames tho. foundation takes time to draw the flow might be over by the time it is drawn.

A full hive can be daunting tho.
and d*nedeal is your friend last year we got some bargins on there.
you got my number if ya have any hassle drop me a line

I'll ring you sometime later tim and we'll talk over it

Latest posts

Back