Nuc measurements

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Has anyone got some measurements for plywood/any wood nuc construction? Dave Cushman/Roger Patterson has some here.. Nuc Box Plans Designed by Roger Patterson although I'd be interested to see others. I've searched the site without finding anything but that doesn't mean it's not on here somewhere already! Time spent in reconnaissance always well spent, especially with the current price of plywood.

Has anyone got some measurements for plywood/any wood nuc construction? Dave Cushman/Roger Patterson has some here.. Nuc Box Plans Designed by Roger Patterson although I'd be interested to see others. I've searched the site without finding anything but that doesn't mean it's not on here somewhere already! Time spent in reconnaissance always well spent, especially with the current price of plywood.
I’ve made plenty of Roger’s boxes over the years and they work well but two together don’t fit under a national roof.
I have adapted the design using thinner side walls and reducing the internal dimension to 200mm wide.
I also have a design for a nuc that can be made from 1 sheet of Wickes 9mm ply (606xx1220) and several lengths of 32x12mm PAR timber. The total cost is about £20 from memory

Any help ?

NUC-plans.png

I’ve made plenty of Roger’s boxes over the years and they work well but two together don’t fit under a national roof.
I have adapted the design using thinner side walls and reducing the internal dimension to 200mm wide.
I also have a design for a nuc that can be made from 1 sheet of Wickes 9mm ply (606xx1220) and several lengths of 32x12mm PAR timber. The total cost is about £20 from memory
If you subtract one 'thickness' from the end and runner dimensions then two boxes should sit side by side under a national roof.

I think that's what I did...

I’ve got 18mm five frame ply nucs that sit side by side under a Nat roof. I’ll post up a pic and can take some measurements if you like. There years old so no longer have the measurements and a simple design.

Thanks very much all. I've got going, rain clattering on my shed roof. One further question; I'm making them top bee space. How much space do you suggest underneath the bottom of the frame? In Roger Pattersons diagram (based on a national brood frame side bar below the lug measurement of 207mm) he's allowed 8mm. That's before any added height from the metal runners. Isn't this bottom space in addition to TBS?

Depends how you construct the nuc on mine I made bottom bee space and just a simple top bar and no runners. Depends a bit on if your going for a fixed floor or set separate. You could effectively have anything from 18mm down to a single bee space… I’d settle for something in the middle.

Thanks very much all. I've got going, rain clattering on my shed roof. One further question; I'm making them top bee space. How much space do you suggest underneath the bottom of the frame? In Roger Pattersons diagram (based on a national brood frame side bar below the lug measurement of 207mm) he's allowed 8mm. That's before any added height from the metal runners. Isn't this bottom space in addition to TBS?
in a nuc yes, I always left beespace top and bottom when constructing nucs

in a nuc yes, I always left beespace top and bottom when constructing nucs
It definitely makes a simple crown board and easier construction! I’d give a little extra at the bottom.

Last edited:
If you subtract one 'thickness' from the end and runner dimensions then two boxes should sit side by side under a national roof.

I think that's what I did...
Yes you can do that but it makes it a bit tight to remove frames if you don’t reduce the sides slightly. My sides are made out of 15mm cedar.

it certainly is. Wish I'd had this earlier. Great resource, thank you.
Good, Martin Adams drawings or references to them do exist somewhere in the forum libraries though I had to ferret around in my computer to find those ones. Oddly enough I had been thinking of making my own too so your post has spurred me on, now I just need to find a source of reasonably priced timber/ply near me.

Good, Martin Adams drawings or references to them do exist somewhere in the forum libraries though I had to ferret around in my computer to find those ones. Oddly enough I had been thinking of making my own too so your post has spurred me on, now I just need to find a source of reasonably priced timber/ply near me.
18mm structural ply £50 a sheet phew. Helped a bit though by some excellent lengths of timber (+cut offs of insulation) being chucked at a barn conversion building project nearby. I do get great pleasure from the making process too.

If you could just feed that flying pig at the same time, that would be great.

James
Do floating fish boxes count?? the supply has dwindled a little, but I'm hopeful of anew supply of Irish origin after the recent storms.:)

Do floating fish boxes count?? the supply has dwindled a little, but I'm hopeful of anew supply of Irish origin after the recent storms.:)
I'm on some woodworking FB groups and a guy who says he is in the wholesale business said three weeks back that prices in the Nordic countries are now back to preCovid levels. On speaking with a builders merchant recently he agreed and said if I was planning on a serious purchase to hold fire at least a couple of months to let the overpriced timber go through the system so to speak.

PH

I'm on some woodworking FB groups and a guy who says he is in the wholesale business said three weeks back that prices in the Nordic countries are now back to preCovid levels. On speaking with a builders merchant recently he agreed and said if I was planning on a serious purchase to hold fire at least a couple of months to let the overpriced timber go through the system so to speak.

PH
A ha! useful to know. I had been looking at some of the cheaper stuff on fleabay. I also noticed that Maisemore happened to have a reasonably priced 14x12 Nuc on offer, I'll phone them later today to ask about postage costs, then decide.

There are other options depending on time/cost or wood working skills. Single boxes can be converted to double nucs, there’s also some single 5 or 6 frame boxes in both pine and poly at more sensible prices. You can make floors and the roofs yourself. My garden centre sells these for about £7
Just weight them down.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/GARLAND-SQ...ocphy=1006596&hvtargid=pla-302656716385&psc=1
Those trays are really uesful for lots of things ... Stewarts usually do a spring promotion at two for £13 ... watch out for them and buy them when you can.

Latest posts

Back