Novel small frame format

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Stumbled across this YouTube video of a fella looking at a cheapo US Langstroth hive and a new fangled 3d-printed "Hex hive".
I don't have a 3D printer and have no desire to make a rickety plastic hive. What was interesting was the arrangement of consistent-size small frames within the hex hive, around a central column.
Seems to me it could be relatively straightforward (famous last words) to make in timber.

I know bees will happily nest in most cavity formats, and the volume of each box looks a bit bigger than a 6-frame nuc, but the idea of a column, with that consistent mini frame size, does look interesting. If nothing else from a novelty/experimental POV.

Screenshot 2024-05-20 222100.png

Bees won't like it !
Do you ever see a similar configuration occurring naturally with honey bees ?

It's the divergent angles of the combs that's the problem.

This image came up on my Twitter feed. Honeycomb in sort of the same configuration.
RosslynTurret1.jpg

Dr. Lizzie Swarbrick, an architectural historian, I think at University of Edinburgh who is researching Rosslyn Chapel would like to know why you would make the extra effort to hollow out a space ideal for honeybees in the pinnacles of the chapel. One of the 'weird' things people have found at Rosslyn is honey oozing down the walls.

RosslynTurret2.jpg

Latest posts

Back