Not mixing supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This is why I like to keep the supers separate when I extract. Same hive a couple of days apart. The light one is predominantly dandelion and fruit blossom and I reckon the darker one might be Horse chestnut!
attachment.php

Last edited:
I guess volume could affect that approach. I will keep to extracting each apiary separately but to break down to the super seems quite a faff / equipment heavy? How do you find it practically? Do you clean down the extractor each time too or are you happy with a little carry over?

Everything in one place helps. A quick scrape with a silicon spatchula gets rid of most of the honey in containers so only a tiny amount of carry over. I agree it would be impractical for large amounts.
E

I have only ever extracted 2 supers, they were both from the same hive, taken on the same day. I kept both separate and was delighted to get 2 very different flavors of honey.

Like enrico says, I just scraped out most the honey from the extractor, changed the collection bucket and span the 2nd super.

So I could not agree more with enrico. If the scale you operate on is small enough to accommodate it, its worth doing. My family all wanted one jar of each flavor too.

Supers and frames are all coded so that they can go back on the same hive.

Lesson learned after EFB discovered in one apiary and fortunately contained effectively dealt with by our SBI... a few years back now.

Down side is that many more supers needed whilst waiting for SWMBO to get on with the extracting!!!!!..... and a huge storage facility for all the supers over winter!!!

Chons da

I've colour coded all my supers and have had different spring honey in each apiary even the apiarys with in 1/4 mile of the garden apiary.
I also scrap out the extractor with a plastic spatchular in between supers...
Interesting though I've extracted osr then blossom honey supers one after another and the blossom honey is crystalizing already, it was lovely and clear.
What does SWMBO stand for Cheers?

Last edited:
I've colour coded all my supers and have had different spring honey in each apiary even the apiarys with in 1/4 mile of the garden apiary.
I also scrap out the extractor with a plastic spatchular in between supers...
Interesting though I've extracted osr then blossom honey supers one after another and the blossom honey is crystalizing already, it was lovely and clear.
What does SWMBO stand for Cheers?

The Beefarmers Wife... She Who Must Be Obeyed!!:calmdown:

Chons da

Supers and frames are all coded so that they can go back on the same hive.

Lesson learned after EFB discovered in one apiary and fortunately contained effectively dealt with by our SBI... a few years back now.Chons da

I colour code mine for each apiary but never thought of putting them back on the same hive. That's a great tip which I shall be doing from now on.

Latest posts

Back