nosema

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warwick

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Help! First real season. Big strong brood box In April and two supers filled in May. Now its gone horrific. Piles of dead bees in and out of the hive, dead in the comb, lethargic bees, poo everywhere. Is this nosema and what the heck can I do about it! Its v upsetting.

all help gratefully received

W

Spray poisoning or CBPV, most likely the latter.

Thanks HM. So basically I'll lose the colony it seems? I spun out the supers because I didnt know what else to do. So now i have wet frames which are poo covered. What to do fo rthe best.

Thanks HM. So basically I'll lose the colony it seems? I spun out the supers because I didnt know what else to do. So now i have wet frames which are poo covered. What to do fo rthe best.

CBPV was the culprit in the suspected poisoning incident covered in the health section a couple of months ago. The thread includes a method for separation of infected bees from the hive. You may care to read through the thread.
The usual searches failed to give information on treatment but the forum gave the answers :)

Thank you so much. will have a good read

appreciate the advice. thank you

W

Thank you so much. will have a good read

appreciate the advice. thank you

W

I've just been in contact with the girl who owns the hive that suffered the cbpv. Following the shake out it's recovering. The treatment is traumatic but the alternative worse.

I would contact your local bee inspector, ask them to come and look.

i have dropped a line to the bee inspector. just waiting to hear.

Ok so I had a read of the thread mentioned and it seems I may have pretty much done the shake out last week without really realising! This week i have gone in and there are way less dead (30), no fresh poo, very few sitting on top bars and bees are out flying, nectar coming in, queen present and laying and brood hatching. Crossing everything this end. Have removed all dead and had a good look see whats going on.

Now I do need some advice. I had doubled on the brood box as they were so prolific and they have now gone down to a few frames in the top and not much else. Do I need to drop down to one again and as there are a few undrawn combs in the top shall I slot nectar and honey filled frames in from bottom to top?

If that is a good idea what do i do with unused frames?

I did strip the honey off the supers when this kicked off. Is it going to be ok to use? Pasteurise maybe? Again these frames are wet and have old poo on so what sthe best approach?

As ever all help and suggestions gratefully received. Its been a tough week and a half with family issues and seeing the bees going down hill has really put the icing on the cake. Feeling a little better that they seem to be picking up. Hope they make it

Latest posts

Back