Nosema?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This mating nuc was filled with a cupful of bees plus a QC welded to some foundation on 26th, 48 hours ago. Fondant lump in there too.
24 hours after taking it from it's 24 hours of dark purdah in a shed it looks in a bad state. (Pic attached)
Does this look like nosema? I know it needs a microscope to be certain.
The hive that the bees came from has, on close inspection some small indications of similar issue although nothing like as bad.
I'm thinking of getting rid of the mating nuc to reduce risk of spread, it's 10m from the end of the apiary. (how to get rid?)
The hive, perhaps bailey comb change.
Grateful for comments.

Attachments

• 20220428_190846.jpg
    20220428_190846.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 25
That doesn't look like Nosema ... just a few bees caught short. What are the frames inside the hive like ... usually with Nosema you will see facaes on the face of the comb and on the top bars ,,,

I would not panic ... have a look inside the hive and if there are signs inside then start and worry.

This mating nuc was filled with a cupful of bees plus a QC welded to some foundation on 26th, 48 hours ago. Fondant lump in there too.
24 hours after taking it from it's 24 hours of dark purdah in a shed it looks in a bad state. (Pic attached)
Does this look like nosema? I know it needs a microscope to be certain.
The hive that the bees came from has, on close inspection some small indications of similar issue although nothing like as bad.
I'm thinking of getting rid of the mating nuc to reduce risk of spread, it's 10m from the end of the apiary. (how to get rid?)
The hive, perhaps bailey comb change.
Grateful for comments.
They were locked in, probably a bit desperate plus possibly a bit of a stress reaction, I notice it with newly set up mating nucs.

Latest posts

Back