Norton's superbees on Finnish foreweed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finman

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
I had 2 days rain and fireweed has started flow. My balance hive brought today 3,5 kg more weight, Temp was 22C. yesterday it was 18C and weight 1,5 kg.

It was 8 a'clock in the evening when I went to give more foundation to my 3 hive group. 2 of then has Norton's superbee genes. They are got super layers but they seems to be good foragers. I must add tomorrow more combs there.

What is splended thing, there was no queen cells even if brood areas were strictly deminished because of huge nectar flow. Raspberry flow stopped a weeks ago, and now clover and fireweed are very good after 2 days rain.

I am more than satisfied.

Balance hive has no Norton genes and the hive is 2
boxes bigger than those 2 super neighbours. But balance hive had queen cells. It is too full of nectar and honey

It seems that our honey season will be end after 2 weeks when fireweed is bloomed. Summer is 10 days ahead normal.

Last edited:
Sounds good finman in London over the next week or I hope beyond is going to be in the high 20’s and looking forward to a decent flow as it has been stop go backwards so far this year.

One question how do you know your hive has increased by 3.5kg when your hives are large and already heavy.

he has a hive on a weighing scale I think

My hive weight is now 115 kg

Here is our balance hives. http://koti.tnnet.fi/web144/vaakapesa/selaa.php
My balance is second from south east direction = Kouvola.
From google earth the lanscape can be seen with name Sippola.

Around my hives there are hundreds of hectares cutted forest areas covered with fireweed. Dry sandy places do not give much nectar. It is real forest weed.

Last edited:
2 days of rain and the hive dropped 2,5 kg one good day and increases by 3kg.

This must be some kind of collective research and hard to imagine anything similar in the uk.

So is your balance hive as simple as a hive sitting on large scales

Good old google translator always good for a laugh.

Translated from comments of Finman's link above.

temperature of 30C. Facial hair hanging, that is, more space

the nest was 5 days old EMOKENNOJA Hury mykky. now have tehdäVALEPARVI and then we shall see how it develops and the weight of what's going on weeks when the fetus pohjuspesä and housing combined. Langstroth in the nest 2 + 5 Farrar. One of Farrar covered off. Pollen is a half-compartment cells pretty full. furnace is a lot of ticks in the tick antics will leave the end of July when the crop starts to fade. .

:icon_204-2:

2 days of rain and the hive dropped 2,5 kg

Yes, that weight loss include what they eate and what they dry up the nectar

This must be some kind of collective research and hard to imagine anything similar in the uk.

Jep. I got my balance from Honey Bee Society of Finland

So is your balance hive as simple as a hive sitting on large scales

it is such. The scale is bout size of the hive floor.

Guys have used tens of years this kind of scales

j6eW.jpg

My brother and nephew in Kolkki, Finland, are fishing most days from 9am through the day into the evening, and often 12 pm - 1 am...in t-shirts...

Or he is lying ;)

My brother and nephew in Kolkki, Finland, are fishing most days from 9am through the day into the evening, and often 12 pm - 1 am...in t-shirts...

Or he is lying ;)

jep. A miserable lier.

It is allways chilly on the water because waters are cold.

jep. A miserable lier.

It is allways chilly on the water because waters are cold.

My memories of Scandinavian lakes are Giant midges that not even DEET would deter... T shirts..... only when riding motorcycle faster than man eater midges can fly !

And lakes frozen in winter, and not much warmer in summer!

Latest posts

Back