North West/South East...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nose Ma

House Bee
Reaction score
Worcs/West Midlands/South Staffs border(!)
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
As it was warm I did a quick inspection here today. That's not why I am posting, it's just that it got me thinking.

On the weather and the BBC for the past few weeks there has been concern for the lack of rainfall - which I assume is really in the SE/E, as the Test match has been pretty much washed out, and Scotland appears pretty damp at the moment too. I was wondering if people had different forage/feeding experiences across the country?

For example here, top bit of Worcestershire, my girls stored a fair bit early on, and seem to be scavenging from gardens at the moment. They still have a lot of stores around the brood.

Has the really wet weather made some stay in and eat themselves out of house and home?
Has the prolonged dry spell stopped the flow over in the east?
Does anyone have the perfect medium?

Here in dorset there still seems to be some forage in spite of the dryness. That is, when the wind drops enough for them to get out.

My bees are in west London so the south east and spring was very good bees going like crazy and then it stopped, it generally slows a bit after the chestnuts but have never seen it stop and the bees going through their stores.

I have inspected three hives in different locations this weekend and all three had nectar in the bb so perhaps we are back on track again. This may have something to do with something that happened last week it was very strange and had to get advice and was told its rain.

Rain and cold since 1st May. Bees eating stores. Feeding nucs.

reservoirs and rivers full...

My bees are in west London so the south east and spring was very good bees going like crazy and then it stopped, it generally slows a bit after the chestnuts but have never seen it stop and the bees going through their stores.

I have inspected three hives in different locations this weekend and all three had nectar in the bb so perhaps we are back on track again. This may have something to do with something that happened last week it was very strange and had to get advice and was told its rain.

RAIN explane that word what does that mean? not something i know!!

SE England, its been good here, no rain for 12 weeks but we had some this week, but not a lot!

But the bees have been good we had the OSR, then on to the bean fields

dpearce4,

I had rather assumed you were somewhere nearer Cambs/Beds, what with the commercials. But you may be in West Sussex? Maybe you are somewhere else even!

RAB

It has rained every day this month and most days have been quite windy.
Bees are getting out where they can but I am feeding them as stores are low to non-existent.The AS I did at the end of April is still quite small so I have put the floor in too.
They missed the hawthorn entirely....washed out.....
Pity as I have never seen so much blossom and the air was heavy with the scent, even in the rain.
June Gap to look forward to:mad:

I had dearly hoped it would turn into a May gap. Here the rape has been and gone, the brambles are not out, but there is a LOT of cow parsley. I have no idea if the bees like it though!

Lane here is full of cow parsley. Never seen a bee near it. Ours are on the comfrey patch a bit and the climbing rose on the house is popular too. First few white clover out and the bramble just beginning.

We need the weather to improve big time. Got 40 apideas going North mid-week for mating in a less then sheltered location. Not my idea...plan A fell through.

It looks as if the meadowsweet will be early here, it's well in bud . I believe bees use the pollen. Bramble flower buds are popping up here and there but some way off opening. The mountain ash has been alive with bees at every opportunity so there's stuff out there. Bring on the sun.

One of the awkward aspects of the uk is the climate.

As in there is not one as such.

The reality is that there are a large number for micro climates, and it might be an interesting experiment one day to check that out via a thread which will start at say 12am and go for 12 hours as to what and where the poster is experiencing and what the forecast said they "should" have.

For years I talked to a friend some 60 miles to the north of me and some 50 west and the times we had opposite weather was remarkable.

PH

Bees were very busy here in March and April, but have hardly been out in May due to the wind and rain.
What is even more of a worry is the new queen in my two nuc/hive have probably not been able to get out on a mating flight since they emerged two weeks ago. :(

Well in Staffs, I had 4 Queens due to be mated and judging by the state of one drone, at least one queen has mated on one of the few dry days.

Forecast is to warm up nearer the end of the week: My queens are only 18 days old so not too late to mate... I hope.

Latest posts

Back