Normal waggle?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking that there may be a case for putting an empty brood box under the existing brood box with a sliding tray at the bottom to catch the dead bees and allow for their total removal by the beekeeper with an entrance at the bottom - or even top of the existing brood box - perhaps a small eke with an entrance hole ?
it then becomes a floor as far as the bees are concerned, I had one CBPV in the middle of other hives at one apiary this year, did the no floor trick and left them to it, they even requeened themselves, no other colony at the apiary was affected - I only put the floor back a few weeks ago and they were booming

The trouble with adding a floor a brood box below is that the bees clean it up well before you can get there
I've had it three times over 10 years and I've never had a colony robbed.
I do nadir a 14x12 and give an entrance above it. I actually have a floor without mesh which I use.

The trouble with adding a floor a brood box below is that the bees clean it up well before you can get there
I've had it three times over 10 years and I've never had a colony robbed.
I do nadir a 14x12 and give an entrance above it. I actually have a floor without mesh which I use.
OK so you put an empty brood box below the affected colony without a floor in it ... that sounds like a good idea ...just moves the big hole where the floor was down a bit further and that I suspect would make it less noticeable to robbers.

What about if you made a V-shaped smooth metal insert to go in the lower brood box with just a slot at the bottom so the dead bees would slide down through the slot into a container that the bees would not bother clearing out ...

I'm thinking that would be another nice little earner for my retirement ... the Argyle CBPV Floor !

What about if you made a V-shaped smooth metal insert to go in the lower brood box with just a slot at the bottom so the dead bees would slide down through the slot into a container that the bees would not bother clearing out ...
Yes...that would work

OK so you put an empty brood box below the affected colony without a floor in it ... that sounds like a good idea ...just moves the big hole where the floor was down a bit further and that I suspect would make it less noticeable to robbers.

I'm thinking that would be another nice little earner for my retirement ... the Argyle CBPV Floor !
Oi!........ I suggested that in a previous post about 6months ago. I don't want you infringing my patent!,,,,,,

Latest posts

Back