Noob in Shropshire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iainwilk01

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi All,
This year is to be my 1st as a beekeeper. I've spent many hours reading posts on this website, reading books and watching DVDs. Took the plunge and ordered all my equipment and a nuc of bees for collection in May.
Sent off my paperwork this morning to join NSBKA, so hopefully lots of info from there.

Iain
Wem

Wonderful. Have a look if they have a course. Welcome to the best beekeeping forum ever and good luck 😃

Hi All,
This year is to be my 1st as a beekeeper. I've spent many hours reading posts on this website, reading books and watching DVDs. Took the plunge and ordered all my equipment and a nuc of bees for collection in May.
Sent off my paperwork this morning to join NSBKA, so hopefully lots of info from there.

Iain
Wem

Welcome ... you've found the best source of up to date beekeeping information on the internet .. you'll find things on here that nobody else will tell you. Good luck with your first season - steep learning curve but a fascinating hobby - you might even get a jar or two of honey if you are lucky !

Your first year is hugely exciting....second year even more so. Lots of information here on the forum...especially when you use the search button. Hours of reading there. Good Luck...and hears to a good summer this year!

Hello Iain. SBKA have their beekeeping course starting end Feb, both theory classes and practical sessions later in the year in the apiary. Details and application form on the SBKA website.

Your first year is hugely exciting....second year even more so. Lots of information here on the forum...especially when you use the search button. Hours of reading there. Good Luck...and hears to a good summer this year!
Mine has not been, quite the opposite, my head has been battered lol .
Hopefully its better weather this year, and the wasps bother someone else.

Regardless of that welcome, you will learn and be advised on here by very knowledgeable members, just remember to take a lot of what you read with a pinch of salt and listen to the grumpy old gits as they are nearly always correct.

Mine has not been, quite the opposite, my head has been battered lol .
Hopefully its better weather this year, and the wasps bother someone else.

Regardless of that welcome, you will learn and be advised on here by very knowledgeable members, just remember to take a lot of what you read with a pinch of salt and listen to the grumpy old gits as they are nearly always correct.

Ah...but your year was baptism by fire Millet...however you have survived...yeah...you have survived!

I am west Shropshire, quite a few of us in this area.... Good luck
E

Thank you everyone for your messages. I'm starting with a national given to me which I bought for my father a few years ago but never got round to starting up. Have ordered sh*t loads of frames from Thornes sale (should they ever get round to sending them out).
I'll have a look at the course run by SBKA, the NSBKA has one but happens to be on the one weekend this year that the missus has agreed for us to attend a wedding. Was gutted!
I'm thinking of starting with 2 hives, which I believe is recommended (one nuc and one swarm). Without starting another massive debate about them, should I get a poly hive as my second? I really like the idea of them being insulated and light

Without starting another massive debate about them, should I get a poly hive as my second? I really like the idea of them being insulated and light
I keep both.
My bees do better in the poly hives
Poly hives are a b****r to clean but I like them.
Paynes or Swienty...the Swienty are the same footprint as a national so you can interchange kit...They have one less frame inside though.

Cool thanks! Gonna take a trip to The convention in April n pick one up there. Saw an advert for the Swienty one

Cool thanks! Gonna take a trip to The convention in April n pick one up there. Saw an advert for the Swienty one

It's not as simple as that, unfortunately, think inside and outside dimensions. Paynes, Maisemore and BHS are 500mm boxes with the same internal dimensions as a wooden national, while Swienty and Abelo (when it's released) are 460mm boxes, same outside dimensions as the wooden national but with one less frame inside due to thicker, poly walls.
Another thing to consider is bee space, top or bottom. Nationals are bottom bee space hives in general and though the Swienty has frame rails to run the hive as BBS, there is no recess cut into the bottom of the box to allow bee space over the frame end lugs. I ditched the rails altogether and run mine as TBS. Do be aware, if you choose this route, that anything you add, eg super, crownboard, excluder, needs to be top bee space also.
Like Erichalfbee I have wooden, Paynes and Swienty and I use wooden supers, they're cheaper and make my own deep roofs and underfloor entrances (the poly floors and roofs are not much cop)
I much prefer the Swienty, all hive parts are 460mm and fit much more neatly on the Swienty, whereas on the Paynes they just look daft.
Weight wise, you will not find much difference but lifting Paynes boxes is exactly that, a total pain because the hand grips are a terrible design.
CWJ will have Swienty's at the convention.

Paynes, Maisemore and BHS are 500mm boxes with the same internal dimensions as a wooden national, while Swienty and Abelo (when it's released) are 460mm boxes, same outside dimensions as the wooden national but with one less frame inside due to thicker, poly walls.

That's the nub for me.
External dimensions make for easier stacking.
Like Swarm I have largely wooden supers, (I have a few poly ones which are good for getting frames drawn as they are warmer)and make my own floors......OK husband does but under supervision ;)
Like Swarm, I have customised all my kit to Top Space

Like Swarm, I have customised all my kit to Top Space

Some of us did our research and started with Langs - a hive designed with Top Bee Space ...

(insufferable when people say things like that...:paparazzi:

Some of us did our research and started with Langs - a hive designed with Top Bee Space ...

(insufferable when people say things like that...:paparazzi:

Yes.
That's what I should have done but in zeal and ignorance I jumped in with little planning.
Now....if I had discovered this forum in 2008

Latest posts

Back