No more Tin on Roof for me??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbie & Jans Bees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I attended my business meeting last Wed and a new roofing material has com onto the market its flexi rubber I have given the company a hive roof and they are making me up a pattern 10 years garentee I will post picture next week>:judge: Robbie

I would have thought that the reflective quality of the tin roof would help in the temperature regulation of the hive.
I don't see the problem with tin roofs.
Why are you so excited about this product? Is it just longevity or is there something else?

The roofs bounce when you drop them
:biggrinjester:

I use polycarbonate painted with green black and brown camo (over 18mm softwood ply) Not had any problems so far.

A heat shrink plastic would be a good idea if anyone in this market is interested in making a couple of prototypes

Rubber is notorious for absorbing and retaining heat especially if it is matt and black. It might be worth trying a single roof at least during one hot summer to ensure the bees don't cook out.

/i can get 4 roofs out a sheet of ally costing £16... can you undercut £4?
(i'm not including depreciation on the guillotine and box folder)

Had'nt thought of using Kevlar weave before, hmmm I suppose I could make the whole roof out of it.... got loads lying around the workshop... interesting.

I think though that the rubber will perish the same as felt does, the UV light wont be kind to it. If you've ever seen an old tyre lying around you'd understand what I mean.

Think the Tin might still have the edge... but Kevlar hmmm We use the GRP most places offshore because its rugged and dosen't have the same problems with the UV that other materials do... I feel an experiment coming on.

Yeah just get a few old tyres n chop them up then string them together...ala Michellen Man...pretty heavy though and you'd need a stillson or heavy chop saw to chop up the tyre do able though.. oh and they'd need to be 20" just to get the width

Aluminium sheet is easier to bend...

And tin is even better as it stops the aliens reading my mind....:sunning:

Rubber is notorious for absorbing and retaining heat especially if it is matt and black. It might be worth trying a single roof at least during one hot summer to ensure the bees don't cook out.

Insulation beneath the roof will solve that.

Latest posts

Back