No more hive thefts

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"your getting mixed up with what thread you are replying to"

No i'm not - i'm just cross referencing vaguely related topics. For fun.

Not ever given massive thought to stopping hives being stolen other than that if a thief wants it, they will get it.

metal straps........ cordless angle grinder.

padlocks........as above.

Booby traps.......... injury........end up in court.

Flashing blue lights and a siren nearby might make the thieves leg it and leave the hives.

Cardboard cutout of a policeman or car.

Balaclava and baseball bat .

IMHO best solution is that mentioned by HRP - bolt the hives to substantial concrete foundations.

if feeling nasty - just bolt the floors to the foundation meaning that any thieves end up with an open hive to deal with. not so good for the bees though.

i understand that in past some migratory beekeepers used to have an extra "entrance" in the middle of the floor which they bunged when transporting but opened on siting the bees - ensured that the girls could get out and deal with any unwitting thieves.

I am currently working on an invention that will make theft of hives a thing of the past, hopefully it will be ready just after Christmas

If you can bring the launch date forward a bit I will put a couple on my Christmas list if you can guarantee they will stop the scenario below;

4 hives nicked locally a couple of months back. 2 blokes at night, quiet farmland, reversed Transit van into gateway and up to hives, suits on, blocked entrances, hives strapped already by beek to hold them together should they get knocked over, lifted into van and drove off shutting gate behind them.
These hives were out of view from any main road and over a hedge from view of side road.
Beekeeper doesnt know exactly when they went as he only visited them weekly.
Police have no leads.
Beekeeper £1200 out of pocket.

Intrigued to learn more about it.

My best defence this year was pile 4 or 5 supers on it too make it too heavy to lift.

oh, and......

We dont drink
We dont smoke
Nor......folk
dunno the rest of the words as it was a drunken rabble that seemed to be singing it........... young farmers I think :spy:

also reminds me of the biker gang ....... Piston broke

Think I may have stepped into the matrix here.

How is having a wild boar bolted to each hive going to stop crabby gamekeepers from nicking them? especially as someone could be in one of the hides shooting at him?

some migratory beekeepers used to have an extra "entrance"

Always handy - especially after a ropey curry you might have picked up from a takeaway of no known provenance during a trip to an out apiary

Think I may have stepped into the matrix here.

How is having a wild boar bolted to each hive going to stop crabby gamekeepers from nicking them? especially as someone could be in one of the hides shooting at him?

Always handy - especially after a ropey curry you might have picked up from a takeaway of no known provenance during a trip to an out apiary

Good oh ... I thought I was all alone in the Matrix ... don't fancy an extra entrance myself, however useful !

How is having a wild boar bolted to each hive going to stop crabby gamekeepers from nicking them

Sounds a good idea. If he found a boar in the woods he might miss with his first shot... this way he gets a second chance...

and he'll also have the honey to baste the pork with...

Last edited:
Can't wait for the final post'

Shame folk are like what the are.

For the time it is taking, intellectual property perchance? If so you would probably need to go international. Would it deal with those who just take frames?

bla bla bla

Ok - so you say it's not a wind-up. You don't think there's a chance you might be a tad 'arrogant' regarding what you claim to be in the process of inventing ?
People all over the world have been struggling with hive theft problems since at least the middle of the 19th century - and no-one has yet come even close to solving the problem.

What makes you think you have the answer ?

You may have, of course - but without at least a little taster (you can keep the details secret by all means) to evaluate - why should anyone take your claim seriously ? You see negativity - whereas I see realism.

The Internet forums are full of posts which are of the form: "what I am going to do is ...". But there's not so very many of the form: "what I have done/proven/shown is ...".

So why have you posted about this anyway ... ? Like, what's the point ? You say you've "got better things to do" - well - it doesn't really seem like it ...

LJ

A post-script.

Your post started with the statement "I am currently working on an invention that will make theft of hives a thing of the past ...".

Ok - so you must then be planning on making/selling a large number of 'whatever it is' that you're inventing.

But there's a problem you appear to have overlooked. You won't reveal even the basic principle of your invention here - but - as soon as you sell, or try to sell, the very first one of these - you will be revealing to the world and his dog at least the basic principle. It will be impossible to do otherwise.

Just thought I'd mention that small touch of reality.
Yea arrogant may be. but all you get on here is knocked trying to be little me u couldn't even if you tried no one could, ,Thanks to the people who weren't hornets to me, ad a hive go over in the car today full hive quite a few thousand Bees in it,what would you do if that happened to you????????????????

Yea arrogant may be. but all you get on here is knocked trying to be little me u couldn't even if you tried no one could, ,Thanks to the people who weren't hornets to me, ad a hive go over in the car today full hive quite a few thousand Bees in it,what would you do if that happened to you????????????????

Ever heard the phrase "you make your own luck" ?
Given experience you learn to securely close and strap hives and take measures to keep them stable during transport.
Better luck next time.

With 46 hives it might be an idea to obtain a vehicle specific for the job - a flat bed with truck cab would have ensured that even if the little darlings did get out you would have been safe in the cab

I am currently working on an invention that will make theft of hives a thing of the past...

Which is more of a problem in your region -- hive theft or hive vandalism? If hive theft, are those mostly opportunistic thieves (i.e. they just happen to walk by and saw a theft opportunity) or do thieves actually set out and prepare specifically to steal hives?

yeah no balaclava tough want him to see my face while im damaging his

Interesting comments from a book dealer whose interests are chess and badminton.

Shatters my myth of the mild mannered bookish man.

Clearly a wise man in his own way.

Dusty.

Latest posts

Back