No fake: Active Irish Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I was in my local shop,doing my sales pitch to its owner, one of his customers heard me talking about local provenance, and immediately bought a large jar full, and has taken more of my next batch - as his doctor had recommended local honey for his hayfeaver I said I couldn't possibly comment on health benefits - but I don't have hayfreaver :)
I am surprised how much I am selling - it is in a prime position and next to the free range eggs, and we've produced a info sheet with bee pictures, for him to put with it, saying it is local and full of _local_ pollen!!!!

Mmmm I wondered what it was in Manuka honey that people were so keen on getting.
Years ago here in Sheffield we had a cough medicine made from Phenol Glycerine and Chloradine. It was often used in winter when there was a high incidence of Bronchitis.
The only trouble was people would get hooked on it because of the Phenol content and the local chemists had to ration it to one bottle per day. Lol.
I moved to Aberdeen and when I got pleurisy the local chemist there thought I was out of my mind when I asked for it. Refused to make it up until I obtained a Famous Chemist's label for it showing proportions. When I came back to Sheffield to live it was no longer available. Is Manuka the new legal high for the middle classes.

Manuka is a very good example of great marketing in getting an unpleasant produce shifted off the shelves.
NZ couldnt sell it in much numbers, it had an odd taste ... BUT hey, it contained a tiny medicinal property and would cure all ills... Wow- it flew off the shelves.
Only yesterday I was having such a conversation and was told- 'yes, but it is good for healing wounds..' All honey is good for healing and Manuka is 5 times more expensive for the same results.
Total twaddle. Joe Public being conned again

I read over the weekend that total production of Manuka in the world is 1700 tons, yet in the uk alone we consume 1800 tons of the stuff.....someone is clearly taking the consumer for a ride....

Regards

S

Just been asked about the activity no of my honey by a guy who buys manuka honey, at £15 per half pound.

I read over the weekend that total production of Manuka in the world is 1700 tons, yet in the uk alone we consume 1800 tons of the stuff.....someone is clearly taking the consumer for a ride....
I read that article too. I was thinking that even though 1700 tons are produced, are a lot of the manuka honeys you buy in the supermarket blended down so they have a lower manuka content?

Manuka is a very good example of great marketing in getting an unpleasant produce shifted off the shelves.
NZ couldnt sell it in much numbers, it had an odd taste ... BUT hey, it contained a tiny medicinal property and would cure all ills... Wow- it flew off the shelves.
Only yesterday I was having such a conversation and was told- 'yes, but it is good for healing wounds..' All honey is good for healing and Manuka is 5 times more expensive for the same results.
Total twaddle. Joe Public being conned again

There may be something to the claims of more efficient wound healing where the honey has to be used in sterilised dressings .....
Honeys with non-peroxide antimicrobial activity are more closely associated with floral source, being generally derived from Leptospermum species [8], [9], although this type of activity has also been found in a small number of non-Leptospermum honeys [9], [17], [18], [19]. In a clinical setting where honey is used as a topical antimicrobial and wound dressing, non-peroxide activity may be advantageous as it is not destroyed by catalase present in body fluids, and is unaffected by gamma irradiation [20], allowing these honeys to be sterilized for medicinal use. The compound primarily responsible for non-peroxide activity in New Zealand manuka honey has recently been identified as methylglyoxal (MG) [21], [22], which is derived from dihydroxyacetone, a compound present in high levels in manuka nectar [23]. The reasons for varying dihydroxyacetone levels in different plants are not yet understood. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3065476/#pone.0018229-Henriques1

Weren't they investigating this activity in some UK honeys earlier this year? Trying to identify the most effective plants?

Latest posts

Back