No Brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mignon

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi
Might be worried unnecessarily but inspected the hive today and there is no brood. I know B B has posted a similar query but I did find Queenie. I checked them 9 days ago and there was plenty of stores and brood in the brood box and plenty of room in the half brood. The only concern was the Queen looked a bit ropey, a bit slow maybe.
So today there is are still plenty of stores and the Queen looks more perky but no brood. The bees are bringing in pollen and nectar. My question is, did she have a break? perhaps because the temperature dropped last week. Or do I have a problem is she failing/failed (She's green ie 2 years old) if so why didn't the colony pick up on the problem and supersede her? How long dare I leave it before checking again with the possibility of buying a new Queen?
Any suggestion gratefully received.
Thanks Sarah

Try to get hold of a test frame from someone if you've only got the one hive.

I had a hive without any unsealed brood last week. I popped a test frame in and checked today and found one single Q cell in the centre of the frame so it looks like they're going to supercede her.
The week before the brood was perfect so maybe i damaged her majesty during the previous inspection.

Darren.

Thanks for the replies.
No I couldn't spot any eggs, although queenie was mooching around the empty brood area.
Will have a phone around and see if anyone will be kind enough to give me test frame.

yes she is marked with a green spot so I know she is the original.

Back