Nicot Cup Kit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

marcros 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
I have used this system, and have generated a dozen queen cells. Of the laid up cups, I must have randomly selected a couple that were laid towards the end of the queens entrapment, because these two are not fully sealed. Unfortunately, I didn't see this until I was putting them in the incubator- it was dark at the apiary, and I only glanced at the frame.

Is there anything that can be done with these two? Will the larva die if not capped over? Can I craft a wax covering somehow, maybe by dipping a finger into moulton wax and putting the thin shell over the queen cell.

I have to say, I am very impressed with this system. It was easy to use, and has been reasonably successful.

Poly Hive 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
I would scrap them.

I have to ask though, why the incubator?

If you are dealing in hundreds then yes it is a help, if not, its a hinderence and another hurdle to over come.

KISS......Keep It Simple Silly

PH

marcros 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
I am using the incubator because I cant have bees at home- the small yard at the back is just too close to neighbours etc. It enables me to have the cells to hand. i can put apideas in the cellar for 24 hours, drop the ripe cells into them and back into the cellar for 3 days without having to trek to an apiary each time. I use the shook swarm that I created to start the cells to make up mating nucs, which I couldnt do if the bees were finishing the cells, quite so easily.

It may be a hinderance, but, on paper at least, it is helpful to me. I suppose that it is like anything, you find something that works and run with it. I think that you are right, the best incubator is the bees themselves.

Latest posts