Nicot Cup Kit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have used this system, and have generated a dozen queen cells. Of the laid up cups, I must have randomly selected a couple that were laid towards the end of the queens entrapment, because these two are not fully sealed. Unfortunately, I didn't see this until I was putting them in the incubator- it was dark at the apiary, and I only glanced at the frame.

Is there anything that can be done with these two? Will the larva die if not capped over? Can I craft a wax covering somehow, maybe by dipping a finger into moulton wax and putting the thin shell over the queen cell.

I have to say, I am very impressed with this system. It was easy to use, and has been reasonably successful.

I would scrap them.

I have to ask though, why the incubator?

If you are dealing in hundreds then yes it is a help, if not, its a hinderence and another hurdle to over come.

KISS......Keep It Simple Silly

PH

I am using the incubator because I cant have bees at home- the small yard at the back is just too close to neighbours etc. It enables me to have the cells to hand. i can put apideas in the cellar for 24 hours, drop the ripe cells into them and back into the cellar for 3 days without having to trek to an apiary each time. I use the shook swarm that I created to start the cells to make up mating nucs, which I couldnt do if the bees were finishing the cells, quite so easily.

It may be a hinderance, but, on paper at least, it is helpful to me. I suppose that it is like anything, you find something that works and run with it. I think that you are right, the best incubator is the bees themselves.

Latest posts

Back