Nice apiary off the M23 headed North from Gatwick to Sutton

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 hives
Drove back from gatwick the other day and a lovely set of ~20 hives in an apiary in a hill/field off the northbound M23 headed towards the M25

seems well organised and was a lovely sight to see !

Drove back from gatwick the other day and a lovely set of ~20 hives in an apiary in a hill/field off the northbound M23 headed towards the M25

seems well organised and was a lovely sight to see !

Just the sort of thing to advertise on the forum to scumbag thieves to check out?

Well there is a glass half full and a glass half empty scenario :)

Whilst the beekeeper has probably not done himself any favours with the hives being visible I am not sure I would be happy about others broadcasting any of my sites!!

fair point ... shall I delete the post ?

its pretty tucked away and behind a house ... but maybe its something that is only visible in winter when the leaves are off ?

theres one with >20 hives right by m23 just passed gatwick heading north....visible from the m23...is that the one i wonder...theyre in full sight of everyone

Just the sort of thing to advertise on the forum to scumbag thieves to check out?

Yeh that ... Surrey, Hampshire, Sussex .. Hive thefts every year in these counties, usually between now and the end of March (one has to wonder whether it's the same low life doing it every year ?). Mind you, from the sounds of the location it's hardly tucked away from sight !!

Surrey Berks boarder last year and again visible from a main road. Obvious really just don’t do it!

Have twice found myself being watched by a Drone....!
Nowhere is safe these days...
Wasn't able to find out who was watching...

theres one with >20 hives right by m23 just passed gatwick heading north....visible from the m23...is that the one i wonder...theyre in full sight of everyone

My wife saw that that lot in mid Jan on her way back from visiting her Dad and was in utter disbelief as they are literally right next to the motorway. Can you imagine the exhaust emissions and noise when you are checking the bees, never mind the risk of theft.

I must admit we are cautious where we site apiaries, not just because of the monetary value but because we raise all our colonies and a lot of work has gone into producing the bees we want.

Twenty colonies suggests a beefarmer who doesn't recognise the risk of putting bees in full view. Proactive action to locate the farmer or beekeeper would help all three parties involved: (1) The beekeeper, who will not only lose the lot, but also an apiary site and the goodwill of the farmer. (2) The farmer, having had thieves on his/her land (and who may return for farm equipment) will probably chuck the beekeeper off that land (and reject future beekeepers). (3) Beekeepers in general, because the more that hives are seen, the more likely it is that thieves see a new and easy target.

Even if access to the field and hives is impossible for thieves in a 4x4, it still puts in their mind the idea of stealing hives, which can be put into action elsewhere.

Let's also not forget it's likely to be other beeks doing the nicking

Is it that bad in the uk ? Hives been stolen..

Latest posts

Back