Newspaper queens.....do the bees know best?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bumble Bee Slim

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm thinking of uniting two weak hives (only 2/3 frames of brood in each) using the newspaper method, both hives have 2021 queens.In the past when uniting I have squished the queen I thought inferior but this time round I can't choose between the two and have read , on Dave Cushmans site and else where that you can leave both queens in place and the bees will sort it out.Has anyone tried this or have any thoughts on this course of action?

I never have but lots do. Murray (Into The Lions Den) says that's the only way he can do any uniting as he is pressed for time. It always works out.
My one caveat is that uniting two weak colonies simply results in a temporarily bigger weak colony as you still have a weak queen moving forward. Why are they weak? Is there disease? Is it simply a question of failing queens? If the latter, uniting is good but order a new queen and re queen the unite.

Yes they will sort it out but you may get more than a dead queen as you are effectively mixing 2 hives with no inclination to merge as they both have a queen. I would pick one and get rid of the other one. Difficult to assess with a small hive but what about comparing other traits to help you choose?
Good points from Dani as well.

I never have but lots do. Murray (Into The Lions Den) says that's the only way he can do any uniting as he is pressed for time. It always works out.
My one caveat is that uniting two weak colonies simply results in a temporarily bigger weak colony as you still have a weak queen moving forward. Why are they weak? Is there disease? Is it simply a question of failing queens? If the latter, uniting is good but order a new queen and re queen the unite.
No disease, just failing queens I'm almost happy to report.

Then unite them removing one...either, it doesn't matter. At least the colony will be bolstered by a few extra bees. Order a another queen and re-queen.

Or squish both queens and let them raise new ones - you say 2/3 frames of brood, I assume there are worker eggs and young larvae in there somewhere?
If a walk away split can be done with just a couple of frames and letting them raise an emergency queen then this isn't much different!

Or squish both queens and let them raise new ones - you say 2/3 frames of brood, I assume there are worker eggs and young larvae in there somewhere?
If a walk away split can be done with just a couple of frames and letting them raise an emergency queen then this isn't much different!
Why? When you can be six to eight weeks ahead of the game with a mated queen?

I'm thinking of uniting two weak hives (only 2/3 frames of brood in each) using the newspaper method, both hives have 2021 queens.In the past when uniting I have squished the queen I thought inferior but this time round I can't choose between the two and have read , on Dave Cushmans site and else where that you can leave both queens in place and the bees will sort it out.Has anyone tried this or have any thoughts on this course of action?
It's early in the season and often bees do not pick up strength until Whitsun in about 6 weeks. I should leave them alone and give them a good syrup feed with one table spoon of sea salt .... 5 litres sugar syrup to 1 spoon of salt.
If you use the newspaper to unite colonies the use a needle to thoroughly pin hole the newspaper. This allows the ' scent' of each colony to mix and stops them fighting when they unite. Let the queen's fight, the best will survive.

Yes. It kills the varoa. They digest the syrup with salt and extrude it and it kills the varoa. All creatures need minerals including salt. Sea salt contains trace elements and good quality salt. Don't use table salt.
I have used sea salt for 15 years and no signs of varoa. The bees flourish!

So keep buying those varoa strips. Somebody has to finance their massive profits. Sea salt keeps varoa out your hives so good luck with your expensive varoa treatment.

Yes. It kills the varoa. They digest the syrup with salt and extrude it and it kills the varoa. All creatures need minerals including salt. Sea salt contains trace elements and good quality salt. Don't use table salt.
I have used sea salt for 15 years and no signs of varoa. The bees flourish!

You need magic too with salt.

Please yourself. I have successfully used sea salt for 15 years. Your money, your choice.
Bye.

Latest posts

Back