Newbie with a swarm of someone wants it......

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve got to start assembling mine - need a set square for the right angle and some outside wood glue before starting to assemble this week after work. Also ordered another 10 brood frames and foundation so have 20 plus the end board for 9 spare - so plenty to be getting on with.
There will be people on here who have probably made hundreds but for me the easiest way was a pair of sash clamps and a set square. Quick and easy that way and just personal preference I use gorilla wood glue for anything like this, good applicator built in and seems a little thicker when applied.

I use gorilla wood glue too. Really effective for wood hives and lots of other things. Waterproof as well.

You need a try-square, not a set square 😁
Your right it is a try-square - fixed right angle in metal - also have a couple of Aldi long adjustable clamps as well - will possibly make a start after dinner 👍🏻went with Evostick exterior glue.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Your right it is a try-square - fixed right angle in metal - also have a couple of Aldi long adjustable clamps as well - will possibly make a start after dinner 👍🏻went with Evostick exterior glue.
You learn something everyday, apparently then mine is a rafter square!

Attachments

• F4D0BA32-D13A-4DDC-BD1F-51959C2639E2.jpeg
    F4D0BA32-D13A-4DDC-BD1F-51959C2639E2.jpeg
    399.1 KB · Views: 7
Might have to shave off a fraction of a mm on the front bars if the supers as that is standing a little bit proud of the sides so a slight air gap - not sure if that’s normal or meant to be an absolute flush finish between all the wood.

There will be people on here who have probably made hundreds but for me the easiest way was a pair of sash clamps and a
Pair of sash cramps and a try square is what I always use then, when it is cramped up I put in the nails/screws (I use stainless steel screws on all mine) but don't use the 'correct' nailing convention as taught everywhere - nails into end grain is a pretty poor fix. I screw downwards through the tenons on the end boards then put one screw fron the inside in the centre of the side boards to fix them to the rails, in that case no screws/nails are visible from the outsides.
screw 1.jpgscrew 2.jpgscrew 3.jpgscrew 4.jpgscrew 5.jpg

Might have to shave off a fraction of a mm on the front bars if the supers as that is standing a little bit proud of the sides so a slight air gap - not sure if that’s normal or meant to be an absolute flush finish between all the wood.
If it's just a small gap the bees should propolise it. I guess it depends how much of a perfectionist you are...

Think it’s just an error when they cut the wood - some very tight fits (slight warp) which has made the supers quite interesting to build…
Here’s a photo of the gap - caused by supers having the bottom bar not machined correctly and overhanging the bottom of the box (photo 2)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
I've got a couple of supers that were seconds that always leave a bit of a gap between boxes. The timber's just not cut perfectly flat. It doesn't matter as the bees soon propolise any gaps they don't want - in fact you'll find they propolise pretty much everything!
Only time to worry is if you've got a weak colony and enough of a hole somewhere that other robbing bees or wasps can take advantage.

[/QUOTE
Looks like a good job! I may need to visit Argos even though I have some spare boxes!
Hi, is that where those plastic boxes with lids (as in the picture) come from?
Do you have the order ref. Number?
Cheers
Harry

I've got a couple of supers that were seconds that always leave a bit of a gap between boxes. The timber's just not cut perfectly flat. It doesn't matter as the bees soon propolise any gaps they don't want - in fact you'll find they propolise pretty much everything!
Only time to worry is if you've got a weak colony and enough of a hole somewhere that other robbing bees or wasps can take advantage.
Sadly these supposedly were firsts not seconds, so was expecting a closer fit, brood box went together lovely but the supers had some warped wood and cutting on the bottom bars weren’t in line - think might have a go if can sort out a board to sand it down but probably being overly picky

- think might have a go if can sort out a board to sand it down but probably being overly picky

You're not being overly picky; if these were cheap, pine boxes you would probably be told that it's what you should expect....even though you should expect them to be a good fit at any price. It may be that the timber hadn't been properly seasoned before being machined. I would at least mention it to the supplier as you shouldn't have to fettle it and it will bug you forever.

Some slight warping at times with cedar seconds and I've a couple of supers that sit like that with a gap under the bottom rail. Annoying but the bees propolise it. I would not accept that with first quality though, they should fit properly.

Latest posts

Back