Newbie question on storing supers beneath brood box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benaghbees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 national hives
Hi all,

I will have extracted 3 supers of 1 hive by the weekend. Is it best to put these all back under the brood box for the entire winter? Does the entrance remain at the bottom of the hive meaning the bees would have to come up/down through 3 supers to leave/return to the brood box? This is my first winter so hopefully this is not a silly question. Thanks

No I wouldn't put three under.

If you want the bees to clean them you can put them over a crown board with the feed hole open. They will clean all the honey off the frames in a few days. You can then take them off and store them over winter.

The only supers I put under the brood are ones that are part filled/unsealed when I take my harvest off. I sometimes leave one super under the brood box with the entrance below this, but never more than one. You are going to make your space too big for winter.

The only supers I put under the brood are ones that are part filled/unsealed when I take my harvest off. I sometimes leave one super under the brood box with the entrance below this, but never more than one. You are going to make your space too big for winter.

So will they not use capped honey? Most of the frames in the super I had saved for them will be sealed.

Yes they will.

I extract capped supers and only leave partly filled ones, it's all a matter of choice.

I see - the penny has dropped! I've seen that comment a few times but hadn't understood why:thanks:

Latest posts

Back