newbie on the bee-block

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ape Resi

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
1 and a swarm
hello!
I received a new swarm this week and i what a question...or two....

I started beekeeping last June 2010 when I purchased a nuc form the local beekeeping association.

this week I received a swarm - I collected on Tuesday. the swarm was in a nuc box and had been there overnight.

On Tuesday night, I placed it in the brood box. (am i right to think I should have opened the nuc and just left them to 'naturalise'??) the bees were very 'sticky' like they had velcro paws! and they fanned alot - making a right racket but were v docile.

On Wednesday morning my father in law called me at work to say there were 100s bees on the roof (north facing one) of the house - as he could see bees going in/out of new hive - we assumed they were another swarm, it is a very common activity here!

He told me today (saturday) that the bees went away every night form the roof but returned the following day but not today - but we have had rain yesterday....

now, I just looked at both my hives.

Hive 1 (June 2010) Is live and kicking - big time - with plenty of brood and plenty honey. The hive is on 1.5 brood box, the brood is in the brood box, whilst only honey capped and pollen in the .5 box, queen excluder then a super with almost full super of honey - think only 2-3 frames as just drawn. they were quite lively by now so I 'retreated'...

Hive 2 (2011 swarm) has no eggs and some honey uncapped. have I lost the queen? ah, also no drones. Plenty of bees on the mesh floor.

now should I move one of the brood frames in hive 2 form Hive 1?
Shall I feed Hive 2 to give them a boost?
should i just leave until next week end and see how they get on?

look forward to your advice!

thanks, R

great! so not all lost!
fingers crossed - but i sow no drones...

still no need to feed them/

cheers
resi

there was definitely drones in the swarm i caught last Saturday. :party:

hi all - thought to share this short video on the bees behaviour on the roof (north facing roof) ... does not seem to be like a swarm, which i always see as a 'ball' of bees.

As this is my in-laws family house - I am slightly worried they could try to go under the tiles? anyone got any advice - leave them be or try to lure them away? (but how!?)

thanks, R

It's a week later and I just checked the hives. The swarm is still with no signs of a queen. Some nectar in and there seem to be plenty of fanning about with bottoms up in the air and wings at full speed. Any advice? The colony next door is v strong so was wondering about moving a frame over?? ( small part of me screams no but I'm a newbie...)

Other question - the hive this swarm is in is v poor quality plywood could be something in the glues? While some of the super I have have castellated runners- is it easy to remove them and put smooth runners?

Thanks for reading!!

It's a week later and I just checked the hives. The swarm is still with no signs of a queen. Some nectar in and there seem to be plenty of fanning about with bottoms up in the air and wings at full speed. Any advice? The colony next door is v strong so was wondering about moving a frame over?? ( small part of me screams no but I'm a newbie...)

Other question - the hive this swarm is in is v poor quality plywood could be something in the glues? While some of the super I have have castellated runners- is it easy to remove them and put smooth runners?

Thanks for reading!!

hello everyone - reposting this as i really would welcome your advice on what to do with my (Q-) swarm...
thanks for reading, R

it could be a virgin queen in the swarm may take a few weeks for her to mate and start laying.

thanks Craig.
I had a look at them whilst having a brew leaning against the compost bin today - I can see the entrances of both hives, and whilst the 'old' hive shows super activity, the swarm one does not - more like 1 or 2 bees a min.
I suppose I am just slightly concerned as I could not see the queen or signs of her - but saying this the bees seem to prefer the floor than the frames...

this particular hive has got a solid floor - is it ok to just swap for a mesh floor any time (assuming once i know the colony has got a queen)?

thanks again for the reply
R

hello all - one moe question!

I will go to apiary at the week-end and see if my queen has decided to show me she is there (laying!) if not- could/should or shouldn't get a new laid eggs frame form the thriving hive and hope the bees in the queenless hive make and emergency cell? is a suitable idea? as I visit the apiary once a week i am trying to pre-empt actions/decisions or will be a fortnight before i can do something!
thanks for your help!
ttnf, r

Latest posts

Back