Newbie catches a wopper of a swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeline

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have never seen a swarm in our area for nearly 10 years now so it came as a complete surprise to find a football size swarm hanging off a branch in our back field.

Fortunately I had taken the forums advice and made up a spare hive for "in case of" situations. Being a total novice and only starting beekeeping in May this year, with a nuc, I was surprisingly calm cutting the branches on which the swarm had gathered but i wasn't prepared for the explosion and black cloud that encircled me as I shook them into the box. I was half tempted to run :eek: but I held the line :)

Anyways they're happy (I think) in their new hive for 3 days now. My beekeeping neighbour inspected them and marked the queen and estimated the numbers at 20,000 - apparently a good sized swarm? I've got them on a brood and a half due to their size.

They're taking down 1:1 syrup at a huge pace. I didn't feed for the first 48 hrs as my neighbour had said I shouldn't as it encourages them to draw foundation? Should I continue feeding until they have drawn out all the comb or just enough so that they have 2-3 frames of stores only? My only problem is that I am abroad each week Mon to Fri and don't want them starving if we happen to have terrible weather all week.

I'm so chuffed I now have two hives without having to spend another £160 on another nuc. Just sit back and watch them grow :sifone:

Sounds like a nice swarm considering the time of year.
How much did you feed them?

2 pints should be more than enough for a good size swarm to draw out several frames and store some of it even if they have all new frames and still be enough to keep them feed for a few days if the weather is bad.

Personally I wouldn't of recommended marking the queen until she was a proven layer not that I mark my queens anyway.

Congratulations Beeline :party-smiley-050: I hope they do really well for you.

Sounds mental, Well done for holding the line. bee-smillie:willy_nilly:

Thanks to all for the encouragement. I worked from 2pm until 10pm making up extra frames, a stand, clearing an area in the garden etc. On a total buzz bee-smillie I was.

Ironing board size sounds like a job too big for me.

Mike - In haste I gave them 700g of sugar which they took down overnight. I then topped it up last night with just under 2.5 kilos of sugar - 1:1 mixture.

He marked her only to enable me to find her in future. He did say that in all likelihood she was an old queen and may need replacement. How would I know if she needs to be replaced?

As I have Buckfast in my first hive and find them very docile and pleasant, I would prefer to replace her with another Buckfast queen. Are queens readily available to buy?

BL

Last edited:
You'll know when to replace her or at least the bees will. In fact they may do the job for you! Bad signs are poor laying, tetchy bees, no nice pattern to the brood etc. Simply As next year and recombine them and bob's your uncle!!!
Well done
E

That should have read 'simply AS them meaning (artificial swarm).... sorry
E

A whopper swarm is about the size of an ironing board.

Well if you used that as an ironing board then that would win any extreme ironing contest i have ever seen lol lol lol

well done, its fun isnt it!! As an aside you will be suprised I think at how quickly they build up. I had a swarm and it had drawn 9 out of 10 frames within a week.

well done, its fun isnt it!! As an aside you will be suprised I think at how quickly they build up. I had a swarm and it had drawn 9 out of 10 frames within a week.

Thanks Milkermel - I'm hoping they do build as quickly as some do as my first nuc has been anything but industrious - slow and steady seems to be their moto but they have a lovely nature. Got them at the end of May and I have only just put a super on them as a brood and a half.

Mike - correction to my earlier reply. I gave them another 2.5kg of 1:1 mix last night and just given the rapid feeder a lift and seems at least 2kg have been taken down within the past 24 hrs. That makes total consumption over 48hrs = 3.5kgs of 1:1 mixture.

Does anyone have thoughts whether I should give them anymore syrup?

BL

Thanks for the advice Graham.

I take it then that having feed them 3.5kg of syrup that I can leave them this week, whilst I'm abroad, in the knowledge that they have enough stores until at least Friday.

I can't believe the rate at which they have taken down this near 1 gallon of 1:1 syrup - 36hrs!! :eek:

BL

I've been told that, if their stores total one full frame, that should be enough to last a week (allowing for size of colony etc- but a useful rule of thumb.

Latest posts

Back