Newbee's first wasp attack

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting Karol and thanks for that. So still time for the wasp to develop their colonies I for one hope so I rather like the wasp they do a lot of good and your posts have only increased my understanding and interest.

As for the wasp-v-honey bee I have always looked on that as a natural thing and my bees have always been more than a match for the wasps and you have to admire the wasps determination/desperation and the cunning way they try to sneak in when they think the bees are looking the other way. But a full on attack is something I am yet to witness and will be interesting if one arises.

The concern is however that because it's been difficult for wasps to find insect prey that they may turn to bee colonies out of desparation in which case they'll come for the grubs and bees and not the honey. That's a competely different type of attack and one where bee colonies are more susceptible to being wiped out especially young nucs. Wasp traps are useless in such cases and any techniques such as those described on here for funnel entrances, roving hive locations etc need to be considered instead. Wasp traps only have a place when wasps are sweet feeding.
Thanks Carol, I just read most of your posts on this forum and I will read the rest some other time. You paint a very interesting picture about wasps. I am certainly fascinated about them but they did caught me at bad time. How can I tell when wasps are after honey and when they are after meat?

realy intresting Karole. many thanks for posting its great to learn more stuff i have a new respect for the wasp now.

Verney
I think that wasps hunt for other insects when they have brood and change to sweet stuff when the lava have all grown up which i think is normaly around this time in the UK but as they have been delayed by the weather they could still be going for it. perhaps Karole will post again and we can have a 'proper answer.

Latest posts

Back