Newbee - octagonal warre

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidwd

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and beekeeping, I have read a few books and spoken to a few experts at shows etc. I am purchasing an octagonal warre type hive with bees and all the equipment, is this the easiest type of hive to begin with?

I know it's an expensive way to start but I thought I would try and make it as easy and reliable as possible - any advice or comments welcome.

Thank you

David

At least no one can help you in your difficulties.

octagon.jpg

Stunned silence...

However, if you are going to use a Warre and intend to simply park it in the garden and then leave the bees to it then that is indeed the easiest way to keep bees.

spoken to a few experts at shows etc

Hi David, I think your "expert" was actually a salesman.

One of the main reasons for opting for top bar hives is simplicity and economy.

Have you considered how you'll get bees into your hive?

Yes, anything can be made to work, but those things are just gimmicks and are designed to line the pockets of a certain company much more than to help you or your bees.

I understand frame interchangeability may be a (major?) problem.

At least it was with the designs I looked at.

Thank you for your replies, it is not too late too change my mind about this, I could not decide between top bar hive or warre hive or national etc

If I go ahead with the hive pictured above I will keep you all posted as to my progress!

David

just remember bee keeping doesn't have to cost a fortune, i started out with a top bar hive i made myself which cost me nothing and now i have a poly langstroth hive that cost £60 which means i can spend more money on other equipment

chris

Hi Chris,

Any idea where I could find a top bar hive for sale with bees?

Rgds

David

If going "non-standard" on a top bar hive, why not use a cheaper alternative e.g. National brood boxes with top bars, which also allows you the option of switching over to frames at a later date if you want.

Never thought of that, that seems to make sense. Would you get package bees or bees with the brood box?

Hi Chris,

Any idea where I could find a top bar hive for sale with bees?

Rgds

David

Hi David,
the usual approach is to buy a "package" i.e. bees without frames. You then shake the bees from their travel box into your hive. There is a risk of absconding with this approach - so I wouldn't release the queen from the cage straight away. Similarly a (free) swarm can be used but that's dependant on chance.
I'm afraid I don't know of anyone who sells top bar hive with bees already installed (maybe a gap in the market?). Another option is to find a local beekeeper to populate your hive for you - I've been asked to do this by 3 different new beekeepers locally this year (2 Warres and 1 Kenyan). It's a shame you don't live a bit nearer.
All the best
Chris

Hi David,
the usual approach is to buy a "package" i.e. bees without frames. You then shake the bees from their travel box into your hive. There is a risk of absconding with this approach - so I wouldn't release the queen from the cage straight away. Similarly a (free) swarm can be used but that's dependant on chance.
I'm afraid I don't know of anyone who sells top bar hive with bees already installed (maybe a gap in the market?). Another option is to find a local beekeeper to populate your hive for you - I've been asked to do this by 3 different new beekeepers locally this year (2 Warres and 1 Kenyan). It's a shame you don't live a bit nearer.
All the best
Chris

Thanks for your advice Chris, I will keep you posted as to my progress.

David

Never thought of that, that seems to make sense. Would you get package bees or bees with the brood box?

You could do it either way.
Starting with a 5 frame nuc and then top bars for all further combs would be easy.
As with the true Warre, you then add a 2nd box with top bars underneath when they need it. It will get heavy though, just like a normal Warre!

I believe David Heaf who translated the Warre book still uses his old Nationals like this. Have you got his other book "The Bee Friendly Beekeeper"?

hi david, sorry i don't know anyone who sells tbh's with bees either i actually built mine then put a swarm lure in and got my bees for free but it took a while but time wasn't an issue and i enjoyed the waiting and wondering

chris

hi david, sorry i don't know anyone who sells tbh's with bees either i actually built mine then put a swarm lure in and got my bees for free but it took a while but time wasn't an issue and i enjoyed the waiting and wondering

chris

Hi Chris,

What type of swarm lure did you use? What time of year did you catch your swarm?

Thank you

David

National is the easiest way to start - you'll get nucs/colonies on National frames, the equipment is easy to buy (Google 'Bees on a Budget' for a National supplier) and the National is the easiest to learn on IMHO

R2

National is the easiest way to start -

Absolutely. Standard, compatible, you can go with natural comb if you want ... and with moveable frames you'll be able to watch the bees, understand them better, and intervene should your bees not be able to cope with Varroa unaided (the great majority of bees in the UK). And intervene when they are preparing to set off into the blue yonder leaving behind queen cells to hatch out. No contest.

G.

Absolutely. Standard, compatible, you can go with natural comb if you want ... and with moveable frames you'll be able to watch the bees, understand them better, and intervene should your bees not be able to cope with Varroa unaided (the great majority of bees in the UK). And intervene when they are preparing to set off into the blue yonder leaving behind queen cells to hatch out. No contest.

G.

:iagree:

I'm highly sceptical as to the wisdom of spending a small fortune on an octagonal Warre - you could buy 3 "ordinary" Warres for the same money, (but there are people who spend even more on garish plastic beercooolers), ........ it may be quite pretty, but it seems a lot of lolly for a variance on what was designed as "La Ruche Populaire" (the people's hive) by the Abbe Warre .

I use Warres and would recommend them - it is always better and easier to populate them from swarms, and would suggest that they are an entirely viable type of hive - certainly you could start with Nationals and try to run them as Warres, but I really can't see the point - they are designed with totally different management techniques in mind - if you want to keep bees in the "conventional" way, they may be the way to go, but it seems a rather pointless exercise otherwise...

I think it would be wise to get hold of David Heaf's excellent book and read that before committing yourself - decide which way of keeping bees is going to suit you best, then get the appropriate hive

Latest posts

Back