New Year Plans and Ideas

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I now have my own beekeeping bank account that is more than self financing, best thing I ever did.

With just 7 hives?

Please tell us more. SWMBO reads this occasionally, she will insist that I'm able to do the same,,,,,eventually :)

I think what you have to bear in mind is that the initial setup costs are in the past, so you accept the 'loss' you make in those years and draw a line under it, but once you are established any additional cost be it more equipment, feeding etc must be paid for by the bees. They have even paid for my hotel for the spring convention this year :D

With just 7 hives?

Please tell us more. SWMBO reads this occasionally, she will insist that I'm able to do the same,,,,,eventually :)

I struggled the first few years and made everything except a smoker, bee suit frames and foundation, varroa mesh and some paint, now it's easy -ish, I don't make brood boxes anymore as they have cheap seconds in the sales. I don't want to make millions only keep it as a hobby that is self financing with a bit of spare cash for me.
Spend your money wisely and keep within budgets and you can't go far wrong.

If you are new starting out only get a couple of hives and work up slowly until you are confident and knowledgeable enough to get your bees through the winter, deal with swarm control in the summer and understand what is happening in your hive when you inspect.

Thanks for that all, I think I'm starting right. I just need patience,,,, but right now!

Back