new this year and no honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
to super or not to super

Just got my little darlings last month and am like a mother with a new baby! Thing is I also feel like a new mother....bit scarey all this responsibility for a few thousand bees! Love watching them buzz off and return with loads of pollen. Thin its from nearby Hymalayn Balsam...someone told me I needed to add a super and now I'm worried that it may be too much too late..if so do I just leave it over winter?

I am also a newbee having got my first colony in May. I was amazingly lucky as I got a full colony from someone who is downsizing and they are doing really well and I have had my first harvest of honey. I suspectthat much like home eggs I will never be able to buy again and will go without rather that buy the swill that you can buy in the supermarket.

I am also like a mother hen around my bees. I have had a couple of wasps round my hive and could do with knowing how to deal with them rather than just stalking and killing them individually! I do have a full time job that may start to suffer!

search on this forum for 'wasp traps'
home-made ones from pop bottles seem to work

search on this forum for 'wasp traps'
home-made ones from pop bottles seem to work

:iagree:

i have one under each hive, i put them there last week as the amount of wasps under the hives cleaning up was unreal. looking in the bottles today i have hundreds of wasps dead in them :eek:

Kate,
I love the idea of you stalking individual wasps...

What sort of outfit do you wear when on the hunt? (don't misconstrue these words now)
What is your preferred weapon?
Upwind/downwind?

It must be quite hard to sneak up on them when you are several hundred times larger...

Do the girls appreciate your new skills?

Sam

Very thoughtful post. Thanksyou. This has been my first year as a beekeeper and I know that I have made many mistakes. I've had great help from members here

If wasps are a real struggle, while the weather is not baking hot, reduce the size of the entrance with a couple of bits os suitable sized wood. It helps to guard a smaller space!
E

I am also a new bee keeper this year. Just went through my hive today, it was bought as a 5 frame nuc on the 2nd of July. There are 2 full brood frames of sealed honey. The super which was added on the 15th has hand sized patches of un capped honey on three frames in the super. I am planning to remove whatever has been sealed in the Super arround the 20th of Aughust. I have no Idea if this is a good Idea or not.

First year I would leave uit for their first winter!

Collected my first swarm almost a year to the day. Fed them up and got them through worst winter for decades. Biggest grin on my face when I saw them through crown board in spring.
This is when the learning curve went vertical. AS colony into 3 mid May as they had gone crazy. One split colony then swarmed but is now back on track.
Main colony then swarmed (unable to check as regular due to constant rain)
This colony now has 3 supers on, two of which capped and hardly room for another bee. Now waiting for new queen to hatch after removing approx 20 other queen cells.
The second split colony was moved to my allotment, but although new quen very prolific, brood box full and two supers on their way after six weeks, the offspring are feisty and will follow for some distance and time after any inspection. Needless to say I am moving them to more secluded site until re queened and hopefully more chilled.

All in all a quiet and relaxing first year in a gentle and absorbing hobby.

Oh, did I mention the A&E visit with 6 stings to one finger and my now swollen neck due to one of the feisty girls cornering me in the green house whilst watering.
Don't you just love em.

:banghead:.

Just had a look in my hive. Wasn't able to last week because of the weather. They have expanded from the original 5 to 8 1/2 frames of drawn comb, queen is doing her thing, saw her too, and classic pattens of brood & stores.
Guess who is building super frames tomorrow.

Yep! This year has been the most odd one! It is almost as though we have had two summers. Wow deerless. You could teach an experienced beekeeper a thing or two. Well done. Sometimes the stroppiest bees are the hardest workers. It is an art to get them so they are quiet(er) but still get good crops. Remember they only harrass you for a few months but you will have their honey all year!! Keep it up.
Same with you Diligaf. Always try to have a super box half made up, ie frames made except for one bottom bar so you can just add wax and one bottom bar and they are made. Make them up to this stage in the winter and it makes life easier for you.
E
not worthy

Latest posts

Back