New renegade beekeeper Stirlingshire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, there is a movement. I certainly won't be the last.

Part of the reaction I got probably is down to people being peeved off with that movement and these newbie do-gooders coming in without a clue :) Happy to claim that title. But another part of the reaction I got is a collective of seemingly angry and bullying individuals who seem to despise any other approach that doesn't fit their idea of what's the right way to do it. I now understand that a lot better. Grateful for the quick introduction to that side of it :)

If the goal of people here is to educate people off of that movement then they might want to rethink their approach. I don't see it going anywhere :)
A major problem is that a few of us have "Recovered" Swarm hives empty and ready to go but the STB's, who have no idea what to do, keep asking for and getting saved/recovered swarms. I am as generous as the next bee keeper but these do-goods are killing the swarms by not doing their homework, its a 24/7 job/hobby and hives will re-swarm all over again when the basics are ignored, so the best the STB's can do for the bee's is just watch the video's of those who know and leave the Swarms to Beekeepers who want to save them or Join a club/ society in their area and learn! We all for innovation and progress but not at the loss of what should be productive colonies.

Well I assist with our local association training new beekeepers. And have done so for the past half decade or so since moving from being fully incompetent to be less incompetent.
The reality of beekeeping means drop out rates are high - I would guess c 50% - largely due to time pressures.
We tend to find those keen on "saving the bees" come in with high ideals, find it's hard work, migrate to "leave alone and don't treat" and have swarms etc and slowly lose their colonies. Occasionally we are asked to help .
On the other hand we have some careful beekeepers who don't treat but do look after their bees and continue happily for years - but generally they have had some experience of conventional beekeeping and recognise when intervention is needed.

Then we have the occasional " beekeeping is simple, I don't need any training and you can teach me nothing " types. They usually eventually either come for help or give up.

I have long ago ceased to worry what beginners decide to do. If they want to reinvent the wheel - let them. In most cases, it ends in abject failure and giving up. We can only warn and attempt to point out potential issues.
(And if bees were mammals and pets, the owners would sometimes find the RSPCA would take an interest .)

A major problem is that a few of us have "Recovered" Swarm hives empty and ready to go but the STB's, who have no idea what to do, keep asking for and getting saved/recovered swarms. I am as generous as the next bee keeper but these do-goods are killing the swarms by not doing their homework, its a 24/7 job/hobby and hives will re-swarm all over again when the basics are ignored, so the best the STB's can do for the bee's is just watch the video's of those who know and leave the Swarms to Beekeepers who want to save them or Join a club/ society in their area and learn! We all for innovation and progress but not at the loss of what should be productive colonies.
What’s an STB?

Well I assist with our local association training new beekeepers. And have done so for the past half decade or so since moving from being fully incompetent to be less incompetent.
The reality of beekeeping means drop out rates are high - I would guess c 50% - largely due to time pressures.
We tend to find those keen on "saving the bees" come in with high ideals, find it's hard work, migrate to "leave alone and don't treat" and have swarms etc and slowly lose their colonies. Occasionally we are asked to help .
On the other hand we have some careful beekeepers who don't treat but do look after their bees and continue happily for years - but generally they have had some experience of conventional beekeeping and recognise when intervention is needed.

Then we have the occasional " beekeeping is simple, I don't need any training and you can teach me nothing " types. They usually eventually either come for help or give up.

I have long ago ceased to worry what beginners decide to do. If they want to reinvent the wheel - let them. In most cases, it ends in abject failure and giving up. We can only warn and attempt to point out potential issues.
(And if bees were mammals and pets, the owners would sometimes find the RSPCA would take an interest .)
Interesting analysis.

Yes, I’ve heard there’s a massive dropout rate.

Interesting analysis.

Yes, I’ve heard there’s a massive dropout rate.

We try to stress to beginners they need to devote TIME to learning about the practicalities of beekeeping: something that requires time to spare :cool:

Unfortunately people tend to be optimistic and forget holidays, school events,other hobbies etc also require Time.

Wow!!!!! Emma, some of the beekeepers on this forum have been looking after bees for the best part of their lives, some into their 80's, incredible amount of experience and knowledge gained over the years. They know what works and what doesn't, they have tried and tested various ways of beekeeping. We are in our third year and I made a lot of my decisions based on my mentor and the opinions from this forum. I'm confident that most on here have the welfare of their bees at heart. A course,books and Internet may not be enough. You could try finding a mentor and getting more hands on experience before taking the leap of getting bees. I would be devastated to see one of my hives die out through not looking after them properly, and honestly so many things can go wrong. Diseases to look out for, when to treat, when to feed, when not to feed. Giving more space, not giving them to much space and the list goes on and on. Be careful not to jump in too quickly.

Wow!!!!! Emma, some of the beekeepers on this forum have been looking after bees for the best part of their lives, some into their 80's, incredible amount of experience and knowledge gained over the years. They know what works and what doesn't, they have tried and tested various ways of beekeeping. We are in our third year and I made a lot of my decisions based on my mentor and the opinions from this forum. I'm confident that most on here have the welfare of their bees at heart. A course,books and Internet may not be enough. You could try finding a mentor and getting more hands on experience before taking the leap of getting bees. I would be devastated to see one of my hives die out through not looking after them properly, and honestly so many things can go wrong. Diseases to look out for, when to treat, when to feed, when not to feed. Giving more space, not giving them to much space and the list goes on and on. Be careful not to jump in too quickly.
Yep, that's the main reason I joined.

I did watch a video once of a chap who utilised a wicker waste or laundry basket as his skep before coating it in cow poo. From memory, he made some kind of eke to act as a super and he then cracked on with mark II.
The bees were well kept, it was fascinating.

I did watch a video once of a chap who utilised a wicker waste or laundry basket as his skep before coating it in cow poo. From memory, he made some kind of eke to act as a super and he then cracked on with mark II.
The bees were well kept, it was fascinating.
Yes, I've seen something similar with smaller baskets placed on the top of the skep as a super. At the moment I've been researching the base structure. I must've seen twenty thousand skeps at this stage.

I'm also in love with beekindhives. What a corker craftsman. Bit pricey mind :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back