New Queen - when to inspect

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonny901

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I had a lot of QCs during an inspection earlier in the month. I took out the queen and some brood and honey and put them into a nuc and they're getting along fine for now.

In the hive, I left one QC which should have hatched on Monday or Tuesday this week (18th/19th). I've read that you shouldn't open up/inspect the hive until she's mated and laying (which I think is about 3 weeks) - is this true? I'd like to be certain that she has hatched and all is fine and dandy but I don't want to risk anything. Any advice?

Thanks

I've done the same mate and I've been told 3 weeks too if that helps

You can go in and check whether the queen has hatched but make it a quick check. Virgin and newly mated queens can be flighty and the last thing you want is for them to fly off.

Once you know she has hatched then leave it three weeks for her to get mated and start laying. I did exactly that with two queens I have just reared and both are now laying well. I clipped and marked them last week.

Three weeks seems like forever but it went quite quickly.

This is the standard line the 21 days. BUT

It all depends and can take up to 5 weeks.

However I would leave your lot alone (yes you are stressing and fretting and curiosity is killing you) well tough cos this is beekeeping. If you frighten a virgin who has not yet orientated and she takes wing then that's it game over.

Patience is key here. Give them 28 days then peek.

PH

Leave well alone, don't change the area around the hive by cutting grass moving objects. Leave for 3 weeks and check for laying.
Don't check if the cell has hatched. With good weather 3 weeks is about right.
In full colonies virgin's can take alot longer to mate and lay than small nucs.

leave well alone - don't listen to the eejits who just want to be fiddling constantly, give her three weeks then a quick check if no eggs don't panic and wait a week or two before checking again.

I always find it reassuring to know that a virgin has at least emerged from her cell.
May not be totally recommended by most, but I mark the frame (with the queen cell on) and take a very quick look at that frame only in the late evening or very early morning when there is little chance she may be out flying with sex on her mind. If opened, fine. Leave hive alone as everyone else recommends.
On odd occasions it's been a duff queen cell and has saved me waiting another 3-4 weeks to find this out.

leave well alone - don't listen to the eejits who just want to be fiddling constantly, give her three weeks then a quick check if no eggs don't panic and wait a week or two before checking again.

:iagree: (would be incredibly stupid not to)
As a fairly new beekeepers (4 years), I was in this position of waiting for a new queen. I knew there was a good qc and had calculated when it would emerge. I was desperate to see what was going on, despite the advice I was given (leave alone 3 weeks or so following emergence). I checked at a few days, a few days more... And guess what? No sign of eggs or a queen. Ever.

Now I can't guarantee it was my messing, but have just had similar situation this year (twice) and both times have left for 3-4 weeks and have had no problems.

Good luck, and be patient!

Even if you confirmed she had emerged, you've actually achieved nothing but satisfying curiosity, she could easily fall foul to a predator while on a nuptial flight anyway. Finding eggs is the only evidence of success so, as with everything in beekeeping, unless it has to be done leave them to it.

Larvae are always easier to see than eggs - a good reason to leave it a little longer.

Most queens should be laying about two weeks after emergence but best to wait another 9 days until you expect to find sealed brood so that you can determine if she is laying a good solid pattern and is not a drone layer (several of mine have been this year). A good clue is often an increase in pollen going into the hive.

Most queens should be laying about two weeks after emergence but best to wait another 9 days until you expect to find sealed brood so that you can determine if she is laying a good solid pattern and is not a drone layer (several of mine have been this year). A good clue is often an increase in pollen going into the hive.

There are various queen raising calendars around. (see one http://tinyurl.com/zo7wga8) ##

Basically they tell you when to inspect for eggs in nucs. The same principle and timing applies to hives.

## Original here http://www.thebeeyard.org/queen-rearing-calendar/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back