New Queen or new hive - what to do first?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I have a queenless colony with a new queen ordered and due to arrive this week.

I’ve also ordered a new hive for the colony as the loaned box it’s in will not survive the winter, which can be challenging where we live.

So, do I put the new queen in the existing brood box (no brood to speak of) and then move everyone into the new hive in a few weeks once they’re settled?

OR, do I move the frames and colony into the new hive and add the queen to that, and then leave them to settle?

Thanks for your help 😎

The latter. Please don't just throw the new queen in though will you? Ask on the forum if you are not sure how to introduce a queen! Welcome

Hello Beemum,
In the new member intro forum you mentioned your hive swarmed a few weeks ago, what happened there? Am I right assuming this hive was left with queen cell/s after the swarm?
If that is the case I think you have jumped the gun in ordering that queen, there is probably a queen already resident, just waiting to begin laying, it can take as long as six weeks.
Have a check of dates, reassess the situation, the supplier will understand if you want to postpone her.

Thanks all - maybe I have made a mistake then, I didn’t see any Queen cells or eggs or capped brood or grubs, just workers and drones, lots of pollen and nectar, all of which, as a beginner, seemed to say no Queen…but it sounds like I should be waiting to see what happens…I will postpone the new Queen as you suggest!

OK, she's cancelled (in a good way), and they were very understanding as you said they would be Swarm...what a lovely lot you are, so grateful for your help and I will do my best to chill out a bit and not make so many mistakes...I have a lovely mentor nearby but he's not at all well so I don't like to bother him atm.

I had no idea it can take up to six weeks for a resident queen to start laying...on that basis my question is slightly different:

shall I move the existing frames and bees into the new hive at the weekend, or shall I wait in the hope that the resident Queen starts laying, so as not to disturb things?

hall I move the existing frames and bees into the new hive at the weekend, or shall I wait in the hope that the resident Queen starts laying, so as not to disturb things?
I'd leave well alone now until the new queen has had a chance to go and see the boys

Unless the hive is falling to bits I'm sure you could find ways to keep them secure and warm until next Spring. I don't like disturbing late mated queens.

Unfortunately as well as not being in great condition, the owner of the brood box needs it back…but I will delay thst as long as I can
If you must, better to do it late afternoon and don't hang around don't inspect or fiddle about, just quickly move the occupied hive to one side, put the new one in its place, quickly transfer the frames then close up and leave them in peace

An update - thanks everyone for your advice, have left them to it until a quick inspection just now, and yay we have sealed brood and grubs…didn’t bother to look for eggs after that, just shut them back down (they were feisty!) and I’ll transfer the frames into my new hive on Sunday and then leave them to settle in 😊

Latest posts

Back