New poly hives - to glue or not to glue

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3bees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10 poly hives
Just received my new poly hives from MB. The joints look so good, do I need to glue them?

Whats your experience?

As you say they are a good fit, but I still ran a small bead of waterproof PVA in the joints, and then ran a bead of white silicone down the inner joints.

Forget gluing. wast of time. Never have in over 20 years.

If you try to separate them after painting you will find if you try hard enough that the dovetail will break away first.

Oh sorry discussing a brand I do not use.

Swienty poly certainly does not require gluing.

PH

I have to say I glued mine with waterproof PVA.....The instructional video shows best how this is done.

ran a bead of white silicone down the inner joints.

Why? And furthermore silicon does not stick to plastic.

Polyurethane glue is the only one which glues plastic. Polyurethane glue will be uses do that put some water to surface and that will harden the glue.

.You may glue with polyurethane insulation foam too. Put foam a littel and rug airbubles off.

We have all Mod Bee hives and NO, just put together.

They're fine.

We rang the Evostik technical department (a bi like ringing the Carlsberg Lager complaints Dept)

Anyway, Evostik were stuck :cool: for what to recommend for the reasons Finman has given.

Evostik said it wouldn't stick - end of. Particularly if you put it on the tenons away from air.

Bees like the warmth and cool of polystyrene we think.

BOL

Why? And furthermore silicon does not stick to plastic.

I beg to differ, silicone sealant definatly sticks to plastic, I use it almost every day sticking plastic bird spikes to wood/metal/brick/poly etc, there's lots of silicones out there, prehaps it was just a make that you used that did'nt

Joint may loosen when you twist the frames apart when lifting the frames when nursing.

Sometimes bees start to fly via joint gaps.
When this happened, then take the joint off and put the glue.

During 22 years I have byed perhaps 100 boxes poly. I have never counted.

More often I must repair woodpecker holes. When they get idea, they may do over 20 holes to yard hives.

Has anyone had a poly fall apart?

With regards to the swienty ones if you inadvertently get a side inverted it's not easy to take apart and correct.

If you have glued it then no. If painted then take a stanley knife and run it all the way round the joint and then tap it out and turn it round.

I repeat there is utterly no need to glue them. Waste of time and if an error is made it makes that error that much harder to sort out.

As for having a poly fall part. No never in over 20 years.

KISS

PH

My poly got delivered yesterday, I didn't see anything about glue. All I plan to do is paint and use!

PVA glue is for wood

PVA is pretty much general purpose - would take a long time to dry on poly though as it needs air flow to dry and poly tends to inhibit this.

Glue for poly

If you want to glue your poly hives (I didn't glue mine) UHU POR is the glue to use - specifically made for polystyrene, it's an impact adhesive so use on mating surfaces only.

I use PVA for repairs if required.

I err.... broke a joint taking a super apart so I could demo how easy it was to put together at a lecture. Hence my comments about how astonishingly strong the pain makes the joint stick. That was and is emulsion paint by the way.

I repaired it with some PVA wood working exterior quality grew and two screws.

Sorted.

PH

Has anyone had a poly fall apart?

yes. I had 2 meter high hive tower. It had 70 kg honey. It falled down when I tried to put it direct.
3 uppermost went in pieces. I sew the pieces and glued them to mating nucs. I got 9 mating nucs.
polynucs started from this.

Latest posts

Back