New Members

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like yet another American beekeeper running up vast colony losses due to mismanagement and negligence ...... only this one claims to be a scientist .....
You, sir, are absolutely right about my being just another American loser beekeeper washed ashore here. I just wonder who the other guy was. Hope it was not M. Palmer, though. It's hard to attribute to him what you say about me.

I wait for your insights and guidance.

Still waiting on a denominator when you get a moment.
I am assuming you are asking for my numbers right? It does fluctuate between 50 and 20, depending on SHB fight. This year I will be shooting for 50-60 without having to press or push my bees.

Last edited:
I am assuming you are asking for my numbers right? It does fluctuate between 50 and 20, depending on SHB fight. This year I will be shooting for 50-60 without having to press or push my bees.
You must do fairly well with honey. How do you market it?

That's not what I meant. You mentioned 20 nuc losses (though not to VD), 20 out of how many.

You must do fairly well with honey. How do you market it?
I apologize for causing misunderstanding. As you know, the numbers really do not mean that all of them are production hives at one time, as most are, some to be, and so on, in flux. Most honey I have produced so far has been a barrel, that is 55 gallon drum, which used to be a lot for a sideliner. I am relatively well-known in my region, teaching huge beekeeping classes (150 students per class at times) and at times appearing on a local TV network, etc. So I have regulars, loyal customers, and allergy suffers; and I have been selling my honey $10 per 1lbs packaged in 2lbs jars as I do not like to nickle and dime. My price has not changed for the past 10 or so years as I know it is not cheap. I usually get sold out before X-mas. If I have lots of honey to sell, I have a vendor near the highway where I sell. My in-laws house has its backyard abutting the highway.

Frankly, my honey being raw, with no chemical residue, we enjoy the fruit of our labor by consuming gallons of it for ourselves. For instance, we consume the green tea, lemon juice, raw honey, Apple Cider Vinegar concoction every day--to attenuate the impacts of Eastern Cedar pollen in the spring and that of ragweed in the fall. So I must keep an eye on keeping some for us. Please forgive my long-winded nonsense.

That's not what I meant. You mentioned 20 nuc losses (though not to VD), 20 out of how many.
I see. I made 20 nucs that fall, and all of them succumb to SHB. I too was trying to manage my bees in a long distance management, teaching away from home; thus, I was too late to help the nucs by the time I came home over the weekends. it literally takes three days for SHB's to decimate a strong colony, much less a nuc. These nucs were no match to SHB in the fall. This spring will be the first time to make splits in the spring, though.

I see. I made 20 nucs that fall, and all of them succumb to SHB. I too was trying to manage my bees in a long distance management, teaching away from home; thus, I was too late to help the nucs by the time I came home over the weekends. it literally takes three days for SHB's to decimate a strong colony, much less a nuc. These nucs were no match to SHB in the fall. This spring will be the first time to make splits in the spring, though.
Oh no:( sorry to hear that, was this winter better for you.

Lost three due to Polar vortex. I keep all of mine in two deeps for spring splits. We never had Polar Vortex spilling down this far south since 1890, breaking cold records, but it did. Realizing the danger, I had covered them up with a double, large plastic bags, entombing them inside. But three clusters could not move up to the abundant honey above in the second deep, a common phenomenon even in a commercial operation so much so that people often offer a bridge comb in between. I didn't, thinking they would be OK after all this was the first time I wrapped them, ever. I bet your members have had similar experience in their overwintering loss. But all is not lost. I have one gang-buster, among others, filling up into two deeps waiting for April 12 split. I am hoping by then it would fill three deeps. Have been feeding this colony both pollen patty and syrup for about a month now. Unbelievable even a killer cold would impact me like this. But we go on.

Lost three due to Polar vortex. I keep all of mine in two deeps for spring splits. We never had Polar Vortex spilling down this far south since 1890, breaking cold records, but it did. Realizing the danger, I had covered them up with a double, large plastic bags, entombing them inside. But three clusters could not move up to the abundant honey above in the second deep, a common phenomenon even in a commercial operation so much so that people often offer a bridge comb in between. I didn't, thinking they would be OK after all this was the first time I wrapped them, ever. I bet your members have had similar experience in their overwintering loss. But all is not lost. I have one gang-buster, among others, filling up into two deeps waiting for April 12 split. I am hoping by then it would fill three deeps. Have been feeding this colony both pollen patty and syrup for about a month now. Unbelievable even a killer cold would impact me like this. But we go on.
This year you only lost 3 colonies? Or is that 3 on top of the 20 nucs (or was that a previous year?)

Latest posts

Back