New Members

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I'm Chris and I have a rather unusual request!
My wife is from Thailand and we anticipate retiring there in about 5 years. My father in law has recently purchased about 10 acres of mountain forest, which he is in the process of clearing and planting with Durian trees, interspersed with Montang Mantin; Mangosteen, Rambutan etc.
It came to me that bee keeping would be quite advantageous in that environment and I wonder if any members of this forum have any sensible advise to give.
Incidentally, I have absolutely experience in bee keeping so please don't get too technical

My wife is from Thailand and we anticipate retiring there in about 5 years. My father in law has recently purchased about 10 acres of mountain forest, which he is in the process of clearing and planting with Durian trees, interspersed with Montang Mantin; Mangosteen, Rambutan etc.
It came to me that bee keeping would be quite advantageous in that environment and I wonder if any members of this forum have any sensible advise to give.
Incidentally, I have absolutely experience in bee keeping so please don't get too technical

I would advise both of you to join your local BKA and go to as many apiary meetings as you can. In 5 years you will learn quite a lot about beekeeping and whether you enjoy it or not. Once out there, talk to local beekeepers and get yourself some local bees.

Learn about bees and beekeping: skills are transferable.

Bees in Thailand - Apis dorsata, Apis cerana, and Apis florea - are not the same as Apis Mellifera (European honey bees) So management will be different.

Latest posts

Back