new honey extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"getting the honey out I found when nearly empty I had to really lean it forward a fair bit, do other extractors need this doing ??
and on cleaning, here's how the extractor arrived"

yes, most extractors, that have a flat bottom, and where the honey gate is installed horizontally, some of the newer more expensive honey gates are installed at an angle, you have to tilt it up, or use a yellow pages!

these don't have a flat bottom, more an inverted cone, still needed to lean it though, a minor problem

convex or concave ?

I just tip might up at the end, to extract every last drop....(and use yellow pages), some beeks I know, have made a little wooden platform at an incline.

convex, but still had a good two jars worth in bottom, tipped well over and help the honey out with a long wooden spoon,

it'll be so much easier with flow frames,lol

I bought one of these just before the price went up, and am very pleased with it.

The spacious basket of this extractor is excellent as I know some designs are prescriptive about how you put frames in.
As well as being able to spin 4 deep or shallow frames tangentially as advertised, it turns out you can also arrange 4 shallow Manley frames in it to extract radially without modification.
I haven't tried to extract radially yet, but spinning 4 new frames with foundation in, it seems stable enough; and if I added small loops of wire to hold the frame lugs, there is space to radially spin 8 shallow Manley frames at a time - get one before they put the price up again - they're really under-selling this one.

( but I've never understood why radial extractors cost a lot more than tangential ones, there's no more metal required? )

Last edited:
I bought one of these just before the price went up, and am very pleased with it.

The spacious basket of this extractor is excellent as I know some designs are prescriptive about how you put frames in.
As well as being able to spin 4 deep or shallow frames tangentially as advertised, it turns out you can also arrange 4 shallow Manley frames in it to extract radially without modification.
I haven't tried to extract radially yet, but spinning 4 new frames with foundation in, it seems stable enough; and if I added small loops of wire to hold the frame lugs, there is space to radially spin 8 shallow Manley frames at a time - get one before they put the price up again - they're really under-selling this one.

( but I've never understood why radial extractors cost a lot more than tangential ones, there's no more metal required? )

need pictures to fully understand this d'oh

My shallow frames are all Manleys, other sidebar types might sit differently. There's space for up to 8 shallow frames of any type to be able to be spun radially possibly needing a small bracket or loop of wire to hold the top lug in position.

Normal tangential setup - 4 shallow or deep frames
https://www.btcloud.bt.com/?shareObject=38b3cc62-d89b-ade5-9c81-c61134ce459f

Radial setup - 4 shallow frames - a dry run seems to work ok without needing any additional support
https://www.btcloud.bt.com/?shareObject=c3727cf2-c541-12e6-98a3-98cd857177a4

Radial setup - 8 shallow frames - will need some wire loops to hold top lugs steady in the middle of the basket
https://www.btcloud.bt.com/?shareObject=aed10006-6fc0-edbe-35c9-64b4893eec81

Last edited:
cheers wessexmario, that makes more sense, didn't think of trying them that way, I will use bond wire to make little straps for the tops, good to see your basket joint (red block) is close together as mine is now

In cookery shops you can buy flexible rubbery spatulas or spoons, which will scrape out every drop of honey easily from your extractor.

those others that bought the same extractor, how are you getting on with yours?

I've used mine a few times now, and my only gripe is having to lift it up onto a table after spinning, to allow a decent size pail and strainers to fit under the tap, then having to lean it forward to get that last bit of honey out.

have toyed with the idea of removing that outlet, blanking it off and fitting one in the base, any views ?

I've used mine a few times now, and my only gripe is having to lift it up onto a table after spinning, to allow a decent size pail and strainers to fit under the tap, then having to lean it forward to get that last bit of honey out.

have toyed with the idea of removing that outlet, blanking it off and fitting one in the base, any views ?

why not build a wooden incline of slope! e.g. a wooden wedge

I have the same issue with all flat bottomed, extractors, buckets with taps, so I build a wooden wedge!

if you put a tap in the base, how would you open or close ? or just open quickly and balance on your collection bucket until all honey drops into the bucket below....and then wipe up the drips...when you move it!

yeah, maybe I didn't think the tap bit through enough,:icon_204-2:

I like the idea of a raised floor, sloping but with a large footprint and screwing the legs to it, would help with any shake when putting different amounts of supers in

yeah, maybe I didn't think the tap bit through enough,:icon_204-2:

I like the idea of a raised floor, sloping but with a large footprint and screwing the legs to it, would help with any shake when putting different amounts of supers in

when extracting, I ensure my extraction room is warm, 30 degrees C, so honey runs quickly....and I make sure I'm wearing my mankini!

SWMBO laughs, and says that should be the picture on the jar!

This year I've left all the supers in the polytunnel, and I've been extracting in the polytunnel!

honey runs very quickly....but not too hot to ruin it!

I've very pleased with it, but on my to-do list to to make the legs higher, as my honey buckets don't fit under it when it's on the floor.

Haven't decided how yet, will probably add tubes that the existing legs can sit in, with an option to make one longer/shorter to tilt it towards the tap.

I'm also on the lookout for some wingnuts to replace the nuts holding the mechanism onto the drum, that will make it easier to take the drum out to use a scraper to clean the bulk of the residue honey out.

Latest posts

Back