New frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JC47

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Do members of the Forum store new frames assembled ( without foundation )
or in component parts ?

Can't speak for others but both formats and also with foundation.
Semi made ones have one of the bottom bars yet to be fixed and wedge only loosely "nailed".

I make mine up but leave out the foundation / wedge and 1 bottom bar. Easily finished off when needed.
I always have one full nuc of frames ready assembled though just in case.

I make mine up but leave out the foundation / wedge and 1 bottom bar. Easily finished off when needed.
I always have one full nuc of frames ready assembled though just in case.
How do you store the frames with foundation to prevent eg wax moth damage?

How do you store the frames with foundation to prevent eg wax moth damage?

Inside a hive full of bees!
Use common sense. There isn't an exact storage formula. Although if you have enough freezer space.....................be careful removing them as rather brittle.

Last edited:
Wax moth prefer used comb. six frames of foundation stored in a sealed up nucleus hive in my garage.
Not been a problem

Wax moth is slight misnomer as they eat the pollen honey and cocoon remnants in comb and capping a not the wax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No wax moth in foundation just in everything that is partly or wholly drawn. :hairpull::hairpull::hairpull:
E

Well this is all good stuff to know for a beginner since I can now just foundation up a brood box worth instead of having to rush it later.

Thanks for all the clarification. :thanks:

Wax moth is slight misnomer as they eat the pollen honey and cocoon remnants in comb and capping a not the wax.

Wax moth larvae are perfectly capable of digesting beeswax. They can even digest polystyrene! However they do need a source of protein and other nutrients to live and grow so don't develop very far (if at all) from eggs laid on foundation

Latest posts

Back