New Comer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes, but have you ever tasted Wigan Whisky?

nope, but the Whisky that's currently being produced by St Georges Distillery just outside Thetford in East Anglia (thats the big bumpy bit of England, just above London) is not a bad "wee dram"

:cheers2:

:D

Thanks

Thanks very much for all the advice. I did think it would be the spring 2011 at the earliest I would get started. I will make contact with the association mentioned to get advice and a mentor.

Just one specific question.

Is it safe to keep the bees in a not massive garden but a reasonabl size one.

Dougie

Thanks very much for all the advice. I did think it would be the spring 2011 at the earliest I would get started. I will make contact with the association mentioned to get advice and a mentor.

Just one specific question.

Is it safe to keep the bees in a not massive garden but a reasonabl size one.

Dougie

Depends on your neighbours' attitudes, heights of fences etc, access to water, sensible line-of-flight away from washing lines, paths etc etc, whether you are prepared to properly monitor them in the swarm season, AND having a second site over three miles away to move a hive too should the unfortunate happen and you get a queen who produces hot headed bees at some point down the line and you need to requeen.

Having just started with actual bees this year, I suggest as above you make contact with local beekeepers. See if you can handle their bees in their apiaries. That way you will get to see if beekeeping is really for you.

If it is, then over the winter do your reading and research ( agree with above about Ted Hoopers book).

Speak with the beekeepers you have made contact with in your area about the commonest hives and pros and cons for each. Going for the commonest makes it easier for people to help you in your early days when you run out of bits. Then over winter you could even build your own hive ( from scratch - many plans on internet _ Scottish beekeepers site is good, or from flat pack etc).

Late winter get on a theory course, followed by a practical course in early summer - the contacts I have made this way through local BKA, have been invaluable. Even got given a nuc to get me going.

Worked for me and I am really enjoying myself, Good luck

Latest posts

Back