New colony - Varroa tray in or out (ventilation)?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickyjay

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,
I have installed a new colony this week and was wondering whether I should be leaving the varroa inspection tray in to help them keep warm, or remove it?
Feedback appreciated. N

Hi Heather, thanks for the reply. I am not sure if there enough bees currently to be able to calculate varroa levels - only 10,000 or so, as have only just started to build comb and lay brood as they were started from a package on saturday. But I'll pull the tray out anyhow in a few days. N

If your hive type has no top ventilation, take it out now.

Only use it for a short time when you are doing your varroa treatment later in the season. Too late/early to do this now when you hope to have honey to consume.

Besides, the open mesh floor will help remove varroa.

Even in the winter leave it out.

Last edited:
Interesting...we have Th ornes WBC hives with the 2 conical vents in the roof and we leave the Varroa tray in under our OMF's all the time. There appears to be no adverse reaction from the girls at all and no obviously additional temperature management by them either (no more fanning bees than on other's hives),
All the best,
Sam

Interesting...we have Th ornes WBC hives with the 2 conical vents in the roof and we leave the Varroa tray in under our OMF's all the time. There appears to be no adverse reaction from the girls at all and no obviously additional temperature management by them either (no more fanning bees than on other's hives),
All the best,
Sam

live varroa jump up or climb back if you leave it in so that negates it operation as a varroa control unless you cover it with grease or greased paper to catch them, with it in all the time all you are mainly counting is the dead drop

i seal the top crown board and leave them out except except for a day of two when monitoringi

Mm,
How fast and how high do Varroa go?

What impact should I see between leaving the tray in all the time and leaving it in for 2-3 days?

No-one has ever suggested to me that Varroa have the capability to jump any height at all...

All the best,
Sam

I leave mine in
gaps all around give more than enough ventilation IMO

plus it stops boards from getting lost or muddled

2 points-

Top ventilation When you refer to the 2 vents each side, or cones, these are in the roof. They do not affect the hive unless you leave the porter holes open (which is not what they are there for)

Mite boards These should be left out for various reasons. Firstly, although mites can't jump, they can walk up walls and can easily cover several inches so from that point of view are like a solid floor. Secondly, they trap debris which the bees cannot get at to remove, so are worse than a solid floor. They therefore represent bad hygeine, not to mention an attractant for wax moth. Preferably take the boards out; otherwise you would be better on solid floors.

Latest posts

Back