New beekeeping dilemma

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slinky_dog

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I bought 2 nucs around 8 weeks ago. I haven't found my introduction to bee keeping particularly easy but had been muddling through.

Anyway I found a swarm of bees hanging in a small tree about 20 yards from my 2 hives. I hoped it would be obvious which hive it came from but both seem very active - there were quite a few queen cells in both hives - I couldn't find the queen in either hive on my inspection. When it stops raining I will look again.

I have killed the queen cells but I guess I am in danger of ending up with no queens at all if both my queens have already swarmed and no new queen has hatched. I'm not sure whether doing absolutely nothing and leaving nature to take it's course might be better than my amateurish intervention.

The swarm is still hanging in the tree. Given my queens had their wings clipped, I assume they do not have a queen with them. But they have not flown back. I have 2 hives and I am currently not tempted by a third.

If anyone has advice, would be delighted to receive it.

Maybe have a really good look on the ground within a few metres of the hive. It's likely the clipped queen is on the ground somewhere nearby - with a fistful of bees around her.

You dont know if they were sealed or not?

IF there is a small swarm still in the tree then there is the possibility that it has a queen in it.

Last edited:
You dont know if they were sealed or not?

IF there is a small swarm still in the tree then there is the possibility that it has a queen in it.
Some of the queen cells looked really well developed. I hadn't seen any 7 days previous. Sorry to sound hopeless.

I think you may need to consider that the swarm did not originate from your hives. You may just be lucky and have got some free bees. There's loads of beeks in your area - give the local BKA a call and ask for some help.

For now - as a matter of some urgency - I suggest you get that swarm into some kind of box. Then you can think about sorting out what's what with your 2 hives.

If you don't, then that swarm will undoubtedly take off at some point and then you'll have lost 'em.

LJ

Last edited:
For now - as a matter of some urgency - I suggest you get that swarm into some kind of box. Then you can think about sorting out what's what with your 2 hives.

If you don't, then that swarm will undoubtedly take off at some point and then you'll have lost 'em.

LJ

a large cardboard box makes an excellent temporary swarm box

Hi there,
Sorry to disagree with previous post, but 20 yards is the distance often quoted as the first swarm stop! So, I would assume that this is a swarm from one of your hives. Hope you have some eggs or young larvae in those hives for the bees to make some emergency cells. Get someone more experienced to help you if possible to carry out a thorough inspection. Best of luck!

I know it can be daunting, when you haven't dealt with a swarm before.
Relax yourself. Get a cardboard box medium sized, a water bottle sprayer. & something to cut the branch,or if you can give it a good hard downward shake, well and good.
Lightly mist the bees first, place box under the bees, then a good hard shake of the branch. Most will drop into the box. Then slowly start turning the box up side down, bees will move upwards, then leave the box upside down on the ground with one corner propped up just enough for bees to get in and out, with a piece of timber. The rest of the bees on the tree will find & join the rest.
Remember the bees in a swarm are full of honey, so less likely to sting. Relax into it, and it will be much easier than you think.
At least then, you can make a decision either to give it to someone, or keep it yourself. If you leave it where it is, they will soon move on.

Love Beekeeping <3

I bought 2 nucs around 8 weeks ago. I haven't found my introduction to bee keeping particularly easy but had been muddling through.

Anyway I found a swarm of bees hanging in a small tree about 20 yards from my 2 hives. I hoped it would be obvious which hive it came from but both seem very active - there were quite a few queen cells in both hives - I couldn't find the queen in either hive on my inspection. When it stops raining I will look again.

I have killed the queen cells but I guess I am in danger of ending up with no queens at all if both my queens have already swarmed and no new queen has hatched. I'm not sure whether doing absolutely nothing and leaving nature to take it's course might be better than my amateurish intervention.

The swarm is still hanging in the tree. Given my queens had their wings clipped, I assume they do not have a queen with them. But they have not flown back. I have 2 hives and I am currently not tempted by a third.

as a newbie myself, if you had asked this question a few weeks ago, to leave them alone and let nature take its course, but to answer it now, it sounds like you have made both your hives queenless.
do you understand why queens get clipped?
its so you dont loose all your bees, so why knowing that your queens are clipped would you remove all the queen cells?
can you not get yourself a mentor to help you, it sounds to be like your going to need that swarm, so go get them

Another important aspect of the whole swarming affair is not to panic. You should be a member of your local BKA, there should be someone to talk to. Remember, if you do see a QC there is always the option of going in, having a cup of tea and working out what your options are.
You should try again to spot your queen, alternatively keep looking out for fresh eggs, this'll suggest that there is a queen. I would think that your swarm is from your bees

If anyone is close by to the poster of this thread, who I presume is a newbeek, it might be worth checking over the colonies as I would presume, by the location, he's in the current standstill area.....?

Regards

S

Don't give up, are you a member of a local division?, I had a hellish start to beekeeping but have kept going (still making loads of misakes), beeks from my div have been so helpful and willing to give a hand when needed, also got by with the good advice from this forum (plenty of opinions to choose from!!). Get help i'd say, good luck.

Back