Never ending OSR

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winker

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Looked in some of my hives yesterday to find the supers full again, so I went for a drive around the area to see what they might have been foraging on. Only to find a field of OSR in full bloom 3/4 of a mile from house.

I guess I had better extract the 6 newly filled supers.

It seams like the OSR is never ending this year.

I drove from Leeds to Essex again this weekend. The County of the Yellowbellies certainly lived up to its name, and spilled over into neighbouring counties.

In the Cotswolds this weekend I saw a beautiful field all red yellow and green. Never before have I seen OSR and poppies together!

There's several fields like that down here near the coast in Sussex. Not seen them like that before, is it a new farming thing?
I saw suggested that everyone scatters a packet of red poppy seeds on waste land near them so the poppies will be there next year for the 100th anniversary of the WW1

The A34 corridor is still lined with fields of flowering OSR.

In Kent I know the farmers have perishedhad to re seed some field as the first sowing .
These are only just starting to flower so that may explain why it is going on along time.

Lucky you. Doesnt seem to be much of a flow here

Lucky you. Doesnt seem to be much of a flow here

I don't feel so lucky, the Lime will start to flower next week and my bees will ignore it and go for the OSR. I have loads of lime tree around me but you can bet your bottom dollar my bees will zip on by and head straight for the OSR, which I now have over 200lb of.

I would like some lime, then some bramble.

Ah. I see what you mean. I'm hoping my colonies will be strong enough for a flow after re-uniting. How do you distinguish between what nectar is coming in and when to remove it so it doesn't mix? I think there was quite a bit of dandelion in the super I took off two weeks ago. Still very runny.

I don't feel so lucky, the Lime will start to flower next week and my bees will ignore it and go for the OSR. I have loads of lime tree around me but you can bet your bottom dollar my bees will zip on by and head straight for the OSR, which I now have over 200lb of.

I would like some lime, then some bramble.

200lb of OSR from 22 colonies?

How many of those are full production colonies Winker?

200lb of OSR from 22 colonies?

How many of those are full production colonies Winker?

234lb from 6 colonies, the other 14 hives and 2 nucs are no where near any OSR. They (the 14) have bramble around them and lots of meadows and woodland. and the 6 that got the OSR from has a load of lime trees around them

234lb from 6 colonies, the other 14 hives and 2 nucs are no where near any OSR. They (the 14) have bramble around them and lots of meadows and woodland. and the 6 that got the OSR from has a load of lime trees around them

Well I hope that the weather turns fine for you and your other 14 pile it in.....

Ah. I see what you mean. I'm hoping my colonies will be strong enough for a flow after re-uniting. How do you distinguish between what nectar is coming in and when to remove it so it doesn't mix? I think there was quite a bit of dandelion in the super I took off two weeks ago. Still very runny.

I can only take a guess from whats around them, but the ones with the OSR around them have 100+ lime trees near by and the rest of my hives are on a location which has loads (miles) of brambles as hedge rows around them

Back