Netweather.tv Summer Forecast 2011 "Shades of 1976"

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Send some to Suffolk please!!

I come from the easy cost of Scotland, I can remember 76 i was 9 way back then and back in those days men were men and women were glad of it. But weather wise you can gurantee winters were harsh, and so were the summers.

But down here in the south east of england where i now live, no rain for 10 weeks seams harsher.

Winker
If only I could swap you some of the rain here (showers and or heavy rain everyday for a fortnight) for some of your sun!

Here in East Anglia it is very dry and has been for months. Only in my second year and bees are not behaving. A beekeeper of 50 years has told me he cannot remember a year like it for bees.

Those with more experience may be able to tell us how drought and heat may affcet the bees though, which I think was the point of the OP. The more experienced do keep talkng of being prepared - that is what I am trying to do.

Have already experienced swarming despite keeping on top of AS, and I have few drone cells, and I am sure they are kicking drones out.

apparently the met office forecast that wasn't released prior to this winter was:

33% chance average, 33% chance colder than average, 33% chance warmer than average, 1% chance "BBQ winter".

no wonder they sat on it with that degree of precision!!!!

apparently the met office forecast that wasn't released prior to this winter was:

33% chance average, 33% chance colder than average, 33% chance warmer than average, 1% chance "BBQ winter".

I can remember a genuine news story some years ago that pronounced shock and disgust that nearly 50% of our school children were below average at maths.

:)

"I can remember a genuine news story some years ago that pronounced shock and disgust that nearly 50% of our school children were below average at maths."

precisely!

like nu lab uni targets of 50% of kids - given that some bright kids go straight from school into work/training etc that means by definition that they expected unis to take below average students.

I remeber the summer of 76, I was 8 at the time and also remember loads of ladybirds all over the hedge in the garden.
Hope the sun comes out here soon, it's done nothing but rain since last week and the new queen hatched in two of my hives at the weekend so don't think they have even ventured out yet!!!

1976 was hot and dry.
It's cold and wet.

Spot the difference :)

Lucky Potters. My allotment is in dire need and we only had a little sprinkle last night. First rain in at least a fortnight...

hope i don't have to buy a beesuit with flares to go with the summer!

Latest posts

Back