Need syrup but not taking it

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queen Brenda

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Is it my cooking? They have had a syrup feeder in place since i formed the nuk, with a new queen. After an inspection today revealed very low stores in my new nuk, but no bees taking the syrup, inspite of it being placed over the feeding hole and the bees are able to access it. Same recipe as I have administered to another nuk. Also lots of drones flying in and out but few workers. Queen, eggs and brood all look ok, if rather few in numbers.

Any suggestions?

i had the same thing with one of my new hives - I was told to dribble some down the inside of the feeder so the bees no it's there. Worked a treat.

Add a drop of lemongrass oil to the syrup and dribble a bit down the feeder hole.
If you made up the nuc yourself it will have few foragers if it remains in your apiary. They will have flown home.

I had this problem too so I changed feeder type (rapid feeder to the honey jar lid type) and they took the syrup, crazy I know but it worked.

They may not want it if they are bringing in sufficient, and if they have no comb to draw.

Back