Natural beekeeping varroa treatment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nellie, I found this, I'm sure it's legit, make sure you shoot a video for educational purposes!
:reddevil:

Source: Nuts magazine 02-11-10
On 1st April 2010 researchers at the Pontefract University Bee Research Institute made a break through discovery that is set to change the way that beekeepers manage the varroa mite within colonies of the North European strain of Apis Mellifera (honey bee). Prof Ernst Newberke explains "it was quite by chance after a very drunken research data review session that we discovered that if you dance around a cow horn at midnight whilst wearing just purple underpants that the varroa within a hive instantly detach from the bees and leave the hive by dropping carefully through the OMF floor. On further investigation we also found that they leave a chemical signal on departure to enure that any varroa emerging with subsequent brood know where they have gone so that they can also leave the hive and join them. Early indications are that by swapping to yellow underwear a similar result can be achieved for wax-moth but we are only at the very early stages of field trials." Newberke went on to provide compelling evidence obtained from 567 hives over a 2 year period with 100% success and no re-infestation over the subsequent 6 month period. Earnst continued "performing the ritual at the spring and autumn equinox would seem the logical treatment frequency to ensure year round protection"

Sounds quite natural to me although it would depend on the dyes used for the purple, perhaps naked would be better.

Totally agree, as this would also eliminate any chance of man-made fibres being present, and also difficult to remove if you progress to the next stage which involves the applicaion of honey.:hurray:

My Grandfather would have just tied a freshley caught Newhaven red herring to a stick, and planted it firmly in the center of his apiary, preferably upon a full moon and waited for the winds of change to perculate the infected hives!

on a serious note... What predates upon these nasty little mites.... Cane Toads?

My Grandfather would have just tied a freshley caught Newhaven red herring to a stick, and planted it firmly in the center of his apiary, preferably upon a full moon and waited for the winds of change to perculate the infected hives!

on a serious note... What predates upon these nasty little mites.... Cane Toads?

I thought Red Herrings were a protected species under the latest EEC edicts?? :Angel_anim: :reddevil: :Angel_anim:

Believe me, if someone told me that dancing round a cow horn at midnight whilst wearing purple underpants meant I wouldn't need to treat my bees for Varroa and could back it up with some reasonable evidence then I'd give it a go.

Here you are Nellie
4md47qq.jpg

The original treatment was to sacrifice virgins at the first full moon after the summer solstice but...they've hit a snag and had to adopt less efficacious measures..

The original treatment was to sacrifice virgins at the first full moon after the summer solstice but...they've hit a snag and had to adopt less efficacious measures..

If the Daily Mail is to be believed it's because of a shocking lack of virgins in today's (unmarried) population I'm sure.

As for the rest of you, very good, a pair of cotton pants, dyed with blackcurrant juice is on the line, here's hoping they dry out before it gets too cold :D Now I just need to find a cow...

I have just joined this thread and decided that you have all gone quite mad. It must be end of seasonitis.:eek:
Cazza

Latest posts

Back