National Hive Plans

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Modified and original don't actually differ in internal dimensions or overall external dimensions.

What you didn't mention was that your interest was in plastic product design, rather than DIY carpentry ... :)

:icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: Yes ... he rather sneaked up on us in this thread !!

But there again ... I was getting to the British National Overload situation anyway ... it's no wonder new comers to beekeeping get confused is it ?

Thanks REDWOOD for that link its the best I've seen so far, not that it makes a lot of sense!! :D think I may have to buy what I need this year or find a joiner QUICK!!

It will make sense if you can get a look at a all the parts of a finished hive.
Drawing dont often mean anything if you cant relate to the actual finished article.
Have a look on You tube.

LOL Shellig is a citizen of the US of A. Will be right at home

:sunning:

I was referring to the fact that dimensions on a US site of a UK beehive may be subject to some differences from actual UK measurements used...

(but no, I did not realise that Shellig is US based..)

If you are not a great a wood work then take up manly method of build a national have just strait forward butting up

Keep it simple

Hi Brown tea, don't try and make all the joints etc. Cut your timber to the exact size and use a good quality glue and long screws in predrilled holes to hold it together

If all else fails use bl**dy great nails

By the way, thank you all for your help! I am trying out different hive designs just to see how they work and compare. I have not made a National yet and probably won't this year but with a top bar, Warre' and 8 and 10 frame Langstroth this year, I am going to be learning a lot. I know colonies in the same type hive can vary dramatically but I have the inclination and can make the time to do this so why not?

Latest posts

Back